Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel and reading

How do you manage to read these many books and run a company at the same time?

Joe

avid reader
Friday, March 28, 2003

No television.

a little birdie
Friday, March 28, 2003

Some people read faster than others. I read quickly, but my wife can read 2-3x as much as I can. I swear it's freaky. :)

Brad (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, March 28, 2003

Every so often you read one of those inspirational newspaper stories about a grandmother who had just graduated from medical school while simultaneously raising her crack-head daughter's 12 children, as well as working full-time in a soup kitchen, writing symphonies, and doing research on genetics.

I've never understood how these people do it.  Hell, I can't seem to find the time to balance my checkbook.

(Incidentally, I'm usually depressed by things that are meant to be inspirational.)

J. D. Trollinger
Friday, March 28, 2003

Also no television.  No videos. No videos games. No bar/pub after work. No children. Give reading/learning/projects top priority. Don't let other people hijack your focus.....

And you can still have a life. I'm married. I play piano every day. I go to jazz concerts 2x/month and have much of my weekends free.

I don't understand how anyone can't find the time.

fool for python
Saturday, March 29, 2003

It depends on how much you sleep you need.

The Real PC
Saturday, March 29, 2003

It probably also depends on whether you're an 8-hour-a-day programmer or a 14-hour-a-day programmer.

Kyralessa
Saturday, March 29, 2003

It all depends on nailing your priorities in life....

Prakash S
Saturday, March 29, 2003

Joel doesn't have any children -- that's how.

Chi Lambda
Saturday, March 29, 2003

http://www.theonion.com/onion3604/doesnt_own_television.html

anon
Sunday, March 30, 2003

Stephen Covey would say that the reading Joel does is a QI activity - which doesn't have immediate value or need but has long term value far beyond the investment of time made.

Lou
Sunday, March 30, 2003

Read a little bit every day.  You don't have to go through 4-5 chapters at one sitting.

I don't consider myself a reader at all, but when I look back over a year, it is surprising to me how many books I actually have read. I try to bring a book with me so it is possible to read a few pages during brief intervals of down time, such as waiting at the dentist's office, waiting for the oil change, or during an unexpected solo lunch hour.

Borrowing books from the library also helps motivate me to get through it. I know I have to give it back, and if I went through the effort to borrow it I'd better read it.

I just got "Good to Great" by Jim Collins from the library. Can't wait to start it! It's been recommended to me too many times by too many people to overlook.

Lauren B.
Monday, March 31, 2003

Yep, if I had no kids and no need for sleep, I'm sure I'd accomplish so much more.  Alas, that's not the reality.

GML
Monday, March 31, 2003

A commute into work helps too.  Now I drive into work I find it really difficult to get stuff read.  I used to have 2 hours a day on the train.

Perhap Joel will have less reading time now his moved the company closer to home.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Ritalin helps immeasurably.

Matt
Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Ged, you can "read" books on tape (or CD, or MP3) while you drive.  I have a friend who drives a lot as part of his job.  He listens to more books than I read.

Alex Chernavsky
Thursday, April 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home