Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Applying Strategy Letter V to .NET

OK, after all the Slashdot etc.  discussion about Joel's examples, how about trying to apply the "Smart companies try to commoditize their products' complements." idea to another product and space?

If you look at .NET I think a plausable case can be made for explaining .NET, at least the Web Services portion of it, as commoditization of EAI tools. This is a complement to Microsoft's efforts to get further into the Enterprise Computing area. Anyway, I've put together my thoughts in more detail here http://www.zanthan.com/itymbi/archives/000492.html and I'd be interested in any feedback you have.

Alex Moffat
Monday, June 17, 2002

If commoditizing EAI was the goal wouldn't folding BizTalk server into .NET Server be the first choice?
To me it makes more sense that it's about further commoditizing hardware.
Easy to develop and deploy webservices are the foundation for "scale out" type systems. These reduce the market for high-end, non-commoditized hardware that is purely dependend on the absense of easy alternatives to "scale-up".

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, June 19, 2002

It's possible. I don't see how futher commoditization of hardware helps Microsoft though. To get into "the enterprise" Microsoft needs to integrate with what's there, making hardware cheaper doesn't really help them in that. On the other hand, if people didn't have to buy tibco, and Microsoft supplied integration out of the box, then integration just got cheaper and there's more money for Microsoft.

As for BizTalk server and .NET server. Perhaps the two will become one in the future.

Alex Moffat
Wednesday, June 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home