Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

It's about time

I've had the topic of open source on my mind for a while, I've been waiting for someone to put out a nice article with relevant information, I haven't actively seeked this topic, but i read it on slashdot today, just wanted to say great article and it's nice to know that people are starting to see the reality of open source software is at times (depends on the project obviously), and why companies love to "invest" in it, and other companies, like microsoft, aren't in favor of it. the more software that is given away, the less jobs for programmers there are I feel sometimes... it's like programmers making themselves less valuable.

J
Monday, June 17, 2002

that is an ignorant statement.

Q
Monday, June 17, 2002

care to explain?

J
Monday, June 17, 2002

I don't know about ignorant... but I can't think of any contribution.  Is this merely a slashdot or open source advert?

Joe AA.
Monday, June 17, 2002

it was just merely some nice comments i wanted to forward to the author of the article, I probably put a few twists in it without being careful tho about how open source people might feel.. but like I said, i was only referring to the open source things joe discussed in his article, not the general idea...

J
Monday, June 17, 2002

Joel is as ignorant as you are about open source

o
Monday, June 17, 2002

>the more software that is given away, the less jobs for programmers there are I feel sometimes... it's like programmers making themselves less valuable.

hummm. You need to re-read the article. It is quite possible that Joel does not understand exactly what he wrote, but you missunderstand totally. Yes, the OS will be comoditized by something like linux/bsd. Will that lower value? yes, for that one piece. will it lower total value? no. It will actually increase value elsewhere. What it will do, is lower the value of software that is function poorly, the company promises much and delivers little (except to past investors).

windbourne
Monday, June 17, 2002

The assumption that somehow the software sector is a zero sum game (less money to OS is more mone to apps) is utterly false. Other industries have seen total collapse through price competition and margin erosion.

see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/18/technology/18FONE.html

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home