Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Linux companies

"And don't get me started about Linux. I don't know of anyone making money off of Linux software, and without making money, I can't pay programmers and rent and buy computers and T1s. Despite romantic rhetoric, I really do need to pay the rent, so for now, you're going to have to rely on college kids and the occasional charitable big company for your Linux software."

We'll live without Citydesk on Linux. 

Fortunately, Free Software companies are getting intelligent.  Probably 99.9% of ALL software companies have failed.  Linux has only been around for a few years, coinciding with a very irrational time in the economic world, and people who think that Linux companies are particularly bad should visit www.fuckedcompany.com.  Remember the :CueCat?

Here is an interesting link.  Perhaps Linuxcare will also go down the tubes, but not without putting up an intelligent fight:
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/11/12/0254254

There of course is a kernel of truth in what Joel says.  Is Linux overhyped?  Is XML, and Java?  Yes.  But this hype probably turned things out for the better, nourishing reasonably good alternatives to stagnation.  I don't think any of these technologies are the slightest bit new, but neither are most things in the corporate world... which incidentally Joel On Software is all about.  Software engineering with a profitability constraint.  Milking von Neumann and Turing for bucks.

BTW, on the specific point of porting Citydesk to Linux, Joel is right.  Citydesk is a consumer product.  Linux won't be at the core of a consumer OS for years.  Plus, he sacrificed cross-platform ability for high productivity and fewer support issues.

Advocatus Diaboli
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

Linux will ot exist within 2 years (or only with geeks, which is the same thing)

Tony McConnell
Saturday, November 24, 2001

Open source systems will stay popular in the educational domain.

The students will continue to use them, because they can use them to learn a lot about programming, they are cheap and are rebelish in some aspects (its called free software because of freedom as well).

It will be interesting to see, if they evolve so much that they are good enough for the general audience.

Marc van Woerkom
Saturday, November 24, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home