Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Indepenant Software Vendor Certification

Hello Everyone,

I work for a Indy Software Vendor that provides an online time tracking software. We would like to get some sort of third party certification to instill trust in our customers. What options are available. I noticed Microsoft Certified Partner, but wasn't sure this was for us.

Julz
Thursday, June 06, 2002

Why would consorting with a proven monopolist bolster your standing with customers?

ryan
Thursday, June 06, 2002

get back in your cave troll.

Michael
Thursday, June 06, 2002

While ryan's message is a bit strong, I agree that MCP is probably not what you're looking for.  IIRC MCP doesn't really certify your product/work - it just means that you have a set business relationship with Microsoft.

If you're in a specific industry with a certification/standards body, I'd check with them. Also, what sort of certification do your competitors have? I don't think there is a generic certification.

Jeff
Thursday, June 06, 2002

I know that is an inflammatory statement I made.  But it's true. 

Given the chance I or any other business owner in Microsoft's shoes would have done the same.  Whatever betters the bottom line, you know.

ryan
Thursday, June 06, 2002

Oh god, I smell smoke.  ;)

You might check out iso 9001:2000 certification.

Johnny Simmson
Thursday, June 06, 2002

Invent one - it will mean just as much.

Tony
Thursday, June 06, 2002

MCP is worthwhile if you work for a Microsoft shop, I put my company up for it because you get 5 full MSDN licenses for developers 10 licenses for XP + Office XP, technet subscription and  unlimited training / demo licenses for around $1500 per year. (oh and 5 support incidents with MS support)

Certification for Windows 2K cost us around $1500 all in, Designed for XP logo I think cost $400 (for the software signing key from Verisign)

For ISVs the major advantage is the simple cost one, plus you get to use an MCP logo.

It also forces some good practices, like your setup program removing ALL traces from the registry etc.

In summary it's worthwhile for MS shops, probably not for anyone else.

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, June 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home