Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Anyone using CityDesk in a multi-user setup?

Hi,

After playing with the free, one-user edition, I'd like to know more about using CityDesk as a documentation tool for a whole team.

Is anyone using it successfully? I'm a bit concerned about performance and access conflicts when a whole team starts banging on that poor .CTY file...

Thx
Fred.

Frederic Faure
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

Fred,

Try posting your question in the City Desk discussion forum at FogCreek. Just follow the links under Technical Support. You may get better results there.

Marshall Harrison
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

Access can actually handle quite a large amount of users sharing a single database file.

I built an Access application once for a client which I thought would be shared among 10 people.

They slowly increased the users to all 200 of their staff, who work on the application all day at the same time. The performance is suprisingly good. And it's never corrupted the database once in 3 years.

It is a monster of a database too, with the largest tables having the maximum size of 255 fields.  It does tend to hammer the network though, which they mostly overcame the by upgrading to base 100.

Wish I'd charged a per-user license. ;)

Matthew Lock
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

CityDesk doesnt' have a check in/check out system, so any two people can open the same file and the person who saves last saves over everyone else's changes.

It's better in situations where one or two people 'own' a section of content rather than a team of people modifying the same 5 documents continually.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home