Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Going about publishing articles.

I have some articles I have written that I'd like to submit for publishing.

1) Can you go over the steps involved in  doing this?

2) Can you guys suggest some URL's for magazines and journals to which I can submit them ? 

Thanks.

Bella
Friday, May 31, 2002

depends on the topic you are addressing in these articles.

try http://www.business2.com http://www.fastcompany.com

Prakash S
Friday, May 31, 2002

Nah, those rags are about "tech news".  I'm talking software development and coding

Bella
Friday, May 31, 2002

>>>Nah, those rags are about "tech news". I'm talking software development and coding <<<

Well you must be good then. Try
http://www.academicpress.com/journals/cm.htm
http://www.elsevier.com/locate/issn/03770427
http://www.wspc.com.sg/

Good Luck
Friday, May 31, 2002

Its hard to come up with a good answer when we don't know what kind of articles you've written.  Under the general topic of software development you might try 'Software Development' magazine.  The magazines will have submission guidelines. 

hard to say
Friday, May 31, 2002

Why don't you put the articles online like Joel did?

Matthew Lock
Friday, May 31, 2002

Try what I did. I just started published articles on the free site provided by my ISP.  entertainment.vsnl.com/kamathontherocks/  Its all about software development and coding.

RK
Saturday, June 01, 2002

If your articles are leaning towards web stuff or are just as useful for it, you can always try http://evolt.org/ .

Lachlan Cannon
Saturday, June 01, 2002

Dr. Dobbs may be what you are looking for.

Marat Zborovskiy
Saturday, June 01, 2002

I specifically want a print publication for added credibility.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Any others?

Bella
Saturday, June 01, 2002

If you have a bookstore or magazine stand near you, here's an idea:

1.  Go to the computer section & browse the magazines that look like a good fit for your article. 
2.  Buy the magazines.
3.  Submit your article according to their instructions.

here's an idea
Saturday, June 01, 2002

Bella, if your postings on this board are indicative of your writing style I can hardly wait to read these works of art.

Joe Sixpack
Sunday, June 02, 2002

I have sold a few freelance articles (not about software or anything though).
Apart from the obvious bits about finding a relevant magazine, and reading the submission guidelines, I would add:

Expect to wait a surprisingly long time to get articles considered (e.g. 3 months). I sent something off to brunching.com and had almost forgotten about it when it was accepted months later.
Don't hassle editors, but ask them to acknowledge receipt and give you some idea of how long they'll take to say "yea or nay". After that time has elapsed, you can ask them for a decision.
I don't think you are supposed to submit articles for consideration to multiple places at once. Not sure if this is a hard and fast rule, but I think an editor would be miffed if they accepted something only to find you had sold it somewhere else in the meantime.

BH
Sunday, June 02, 2002

Credibility comes from content, not from being printed.

If you're not well read in the field you shouldn't be submitting articles. And if you are well read, then you'd know which magazines are appropriate.

Mr. Obvious
Sunday, June 02, 2002

Hiya Lachlan. Glad to see you pimping http://evolt.org
(remember, Joel's forum software needs an "h t t p://" in the URL. :P

MadMan
Sunday, June 02, 2002

Mr. Obvious,

Get a clue, newbie.  Content is not the only determining factor of credibility.  Distribution and reader base are also part of the equation.  Having something published on "Matt's Perl Depot.com" isn't the same as getting published in ACM's journals. 

I already have several publications in mind.  I was just looking for a few that I may have overlooked to increase odds of a publication match. 

Bella
Sunday, June 02, 2002

JoeSixpack,
What brilliance have you imparted to this board?  I can gladly cull my postings, and compare how much CONSTRUCTIVE advice we have respectively posted.

Bella
Sunday, June 02, 2002

How, exactly, is distribution & reader base a part of the equation?  Is 'The National Enquirer' more credible than 'Communications' because the former has more readers?  Is JAMA more credible than 'CUJ' because its readership has a higher average level of education?  Is a pre-1995 usenet article more credible than a post-2000 one?

Why is the ACM better than Matt's Perl Depot?
Sunday, June 02, 2002

It's mindboggling that you could be well read yet not know where to seek publishing.  Nonetheless, you can start here:

http://www.mfi.com/totallist

I'm with Mr. Obvious
Sunday, June 02, 2002

We seem to be getting a good number of posts asking for advice on this forum. There isn't anything wrong with that, it has sparked some interesting discussion. But, perhaps it would be good if we put up "Guidelines for Asking Advice" where people will see it before they post.

I know that for this question I would have liked Bella to have included a brief summary or abstract of his articles, and a list of publications he is already considering.

I think as a general rule we could request that people posting questions include a summary of what they discovered by searching with Google. This save us the trouble of repeating the obvious answers.

RK: Drop me an email. I want to discuss your website, but your address at indiatimes.com bounced my mail.

Josh D.
Sunday, June 02, 2002

<quote>
I can gladly cull my postings, and compare how much CONSTRUCTIVE advice we have respectively posted
</quote>

>Get a clue, newbie
>I suppose the whole Microsoft contractor bullshit lawsuit
>Your example is moronic.
>Yet another idiotic example.
>Get real, biased tekkie.
>Only handful of ranting tekkies, who probably still use ShitScape/Mozilla
>Are you Delphi coders actually EMPLOYED??
>The person who told you to learn Python is an idiot.
>You idiots should be fired, as you are incompetent software designers
>Anyone reccomending Unix is simply an idiot who has never had a real job that solved problems.. He's not gonna redo his god damn OS just for this file copy. Get a clue.
>Anyone reccomding esoteric random shit like TCL, prolog, lisp. Get a clue. You are a detriment to whereever you work.

Yeah, great stuff.  And what a sense of professionalism.

Joe Sixpack
Monday, June 03, 2002

Please let me know which magazine publishes your article so that I may cancel my subscription posthaste.

Thank you.

Son of Mr. Obvious
Monday, June 03, 2002

6pack,
Out of context, and a bit harsh, yes, but I still stand behind all the points I was making.  Fear not, I would not take such an aggressive tone in a professional submission.  Thanks for the effort.

Bella
Monday, June 03, 2002

We already have enough database gui how_tos on the net. Bella, you do not have the knowledge to write anything of substance. Go back to your cube and collect your salary.

Gooey
Monday, June 03, 2002

SixPack, that was funny as hell!

Mark
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

>>How, exactly, is distribution & reader base a part of the equation?<<

Having worked as a writer and an editor, I can answer this one. :-)

It's very important when the author has to make new sales.  If a cover letter for a technical article reads, "My publishing credits include Dr. Dobbs, Wired, and the New York Times," that submission will be moved to the top of the stack and will have much better chances at being published than a submission that reads, "I once had a mystery review published in Waukeegan Weekly, circulation 500."

A sale to a high-profile, high-readership magazine will (usually) result in subsequent sales to other high-profile magazines, or at least, better chances of those sales.  Thus, the writer makes more money writing.

Brent P. Newhall
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

Thanks Brent, but that's not really the point.  The original question concerned credibility, and my point was to try to get Bella to think about what credibility means.  For me, future sales aren't an important part of the equation.  I would rather be published in the SIGSOFT newsletter as opposed to 'MSDN Magazine' even though the latter has greater circulation.

Why is the ACM better than Matt's Perl Depot?
Tuesday, June 04, 2002

Bella:
, I would not take such an aggressive tone in a professional submission.

I say keep the aggressive tone.  You'll have a cult following in no time.

Scared
Monday, June 10, 2002

I agree with Scared... the world has enough wimps already... and if I hear "politically correct" one more time I is gonna scream!! ;-)

Joe AA.
Tuesday, June 11, 2002

Politically correct, politically correct, politically correct.

A. Coward
Tuesday, June 11, 2002

I also asked this a while back.
Good luck!

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=9025&ixReplies=29

Bella
Wednesday, January 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home