Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The funniest thing about RealNames

The one usage example always given is that the name "Ford Explorer" would take you right to the official homepage of that model at the Ford Motor site.

But, erm... try this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Ford+Explorer&btnI=Submit

(BTW, the btnI=Submit part is like pressing the 'I feel lucky' button.)

Daniel Earwicker
Monday, May 20, 2002

That's why lots of people -included me- think that Realnames' proposal is just a scam. They insists that the "keywords" method was crucial to AOL's success in the past.

Google's has come to bring order to chaos, and I believe it will the de-facto standard for name resolution.

Leonardo Herrera
Monday, May 20, 2002

My computer-illiterate parents just bought a new Windows XP computer. They don't know the difference between a URL, a search, or a keyword. When I tried to show my parents how to use Google, they started typing URLs into the Google search form. Jakob Nielsen claims this is a very common problem.

I am a "power user" and LOVE the IE Google Bar.  When I was setting up my parents' new computer, I considered turning off IE's AddressBar and secretly replacing it with the Google Bar (and only the "I Feel Lucky" button). Google is THAT good! In the end, I decided against this, but I'm still considering it. Perhaps I will try this experiment on myself for a few days. ;-)

Zwarm Monkey
Monday, May 20, 2002

Of course keywords are important to AOL...it's the *only* address scheme in AOL!

pb
Monday, May 20, 2002

Maybe AOL should call itself Asian On Line ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/25369.html

Nick Hebb
Wednesday, May 22, 2002

At the risk of revealing myself to be a complete idiot, what does Google's "I feel lucky" button do?

programmer
Thursday, May 23, 2002

The "I feel lucky" button redirects you to the first page in the search results for the search term.   

anon
Thursday, May 23, 2002

The funniest thing about RealNames is Keith Teare himself.  Check out this expose.

www.angelfire.com/rebellion/teare

anon
Wednesday, May 29, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home