Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

updated topics first

Joel,
Is there a way you could keep track of which topics have been updated, and display them first?  i think that'd make it a little easier to find topics that have changed, rather than trying to remember how many posts there were on a topic last time you visited the site...

Nathan DeWitt
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

I'm pretty sure the most recently posted-to topics go to the top. And the 'ixReplies=' bit in the url changes with the number of replies so that your browser will show any newly posted-to topics as unvisited.

John C
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

>I'm pretty sure the most recently posted-to topics go to the top.

I don't think so. The most recently added topics go to the top of course, but posting to them does not change their order.

> And the 'ixReplies=' bit in the url changes with the number of replies so that your browser will show any newly posted-to topics as unvisited.

yes, it does, but I would still like an extra marker for "new" or "updated" since the last visit. It happened to me for the third time now that my machine crashed while IE was running (not IE's fault though, I guess, since I was debugging some nasty multi-threading issues) and ate all of my internet history. In that case I have to browse through all threads again.

Have fun,

Jutta Jordans
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

Doesn't seem to me like new replies forces a topic to the top.  It would be much "nicer" if it did.

Joe AA.
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

>>I'm pretty sure the most recently posted-to topics go to the top.

>>I don't think so. The most recently added topics go to the top of course, but posting to them does not change their order.

Really? I'd been under the belief that it did. I wrote a discussion forum for my own site in a similar manner to this one and made it order by most-recently-posted-to-date as I thought this one did!

John C
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

<I'm pretty sure the most recently posted-to topics go to the top.>

It doesn't, but it would be much better if it did.

Chris Dunford
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

It doesn't and I think Joel wanted it that way. I believe he said he wants old topics to die out and a continuous supply of new topics.

pb
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

<I believe he said he wants old topics to die out and a continuous supply of new topics. >

Could be (I don't know), but I learned way back in the 80s as a CompuServe sysop that thread management works best when you key on the age of the newest message, not on the age of the first message.

Chris Dunford
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

Not if you want threads to die.

pb
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

Why do we want active threads to die?  What we want is for dead threads to die.

Chris Dunford
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

Then again, threads like this one and the Open Source V. Microsoft threads would live forever.

MarkTAW
Wednesday, May 15, 2002

That time and new subjects have more weight in determining the death of a thread here than they do elsewhere is refreshing.

pb
Thursday, May 16, 2002

>I'm pretty sure the most recently posted-to topics go to the top. And the 'ixReplies=' bit in the url changes with the number of replies so that your browser will show any newly posted-to topics as unvisited.

Unless you set IE to only remember your links for a few days, rather than weeks.

Nathan
Thursday, May 16, 2002

Here's how it works, assuming default browser preferences:

Threads are sorted by creation date, with the threads created most recently at the top of the list.  New posts to a thread will *not* move that thread to the top of the list; the thread will stay right where it is.

However, whenever a new message is posted to a thread, the URL of the thread changes slightly, so that thread will be displayed as a new link.  Threads with no new content since your last view are colored purple, while threads with new content are colored blue (assuming default link colors; substitute your own if you've changed your browser's default link colors).

Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, May 16, 2002

Yeah we get all that. Each post also has it's own unique ID, which is mostly hidden. Your post, for example is 8288, and can be accessed via the URL

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=8288

MarkTAW
Thursday, May 16, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home