Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

the new economy and pair programming

Hi, I am currently living the internet dream:
sitting at home in my underpants programming, for pay.

I have an LLC with three other people, none of us see each other in real life, ever.  My pal and I who do most of the programming (the other fellows are more systems type guys) want to try out a modified style of pair programming.

Are there any good tools I should check out which will allow my programming partner and I to try out "remote pair programming?"  I've looked into "groove" and that isnt really what I want. Maybe some weird VNC hack, where one person could spy on the other's screen? Anyone else tried something as hare-brained as this?

thanks!

baked woven wheats
Friday, May 10, 2002

WEBEX is the answer.

EMB
Friday, May 10, 2002

Don't mess with your success.
Leave well enough alone.
If it ain't broke....

Bella
Friday, May 10, 2002

Unclear.  xp examined (the blue one) has at least two chapters on this, but talks about dubious-sounding tools like "TUKAN."  The TAO Group, which creates a corba orb, apparently uses a hand-rolled videoconferencing tool.  I think you want to get in touch with these opensource projects which use XP.  Best to ask which ones exist on an XP forum.

We will have to wait for programming tools to catch up with groupware.

Or we can look at the roots of pair programming.  I believe it's a way of enforcing code reviews with nearly 0 administration.  More like using a quick read-eval-print loop where you get instant feedback on your braindead design decisions.  So if you have a culture where there is a constant awareness of each others' code.. especially since there's 3 of you, you could Improve on most peoples' xp practices.

Maybe you need a culture where kibitzing is a good thing.  In distributed dev, I can see fights happening, where they don't in real life.

Good luck, I think things like this make dev much more satisfying.  Always need to improve or you die...

Sammy (needs to wake up)
Monday, May 13, 2002

I know this thread is a bit old, but I've released a demo version of a remot epair programming tool called QuantumPairs.. it literally is a highlighting editor that allows two programmers (or more in our enterprise version) to work on a document simultaneously via the Internet.  It also includes an IM tool to chat as you work.  http://www.bigattichouse.com/  has more info.

Michael Johnson
Saturday, April 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home