Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How many Beta testers are there for Citydesk?

Joel, how many beta testers are there for City desk and what criteria did you use in providing the beta ?

Sunish Issac
Saturday, November 10, 2001

How do you perform the unit testing? What tools and methods do you use?

Ilia Bromberg
Sunday, November 11, 2001

What I'd like to know is if you ever got any GUI testing tools to work. What I heard is that they really aren't very useful for real world testing, but that's a long time back, and things could have changed.

Unit testing really doesn't require any tools, although I use DUnit and find it helpful. It's more a matter of designing your code so it can be unit tested.

Johannes Bjerregaard
Monday, November 12, 2001

There's http://www.xprogramming.com/software.htm to find tools on performing xUnit tests...  I don't think it gets complicated as long as the code is designed sanely, and you create tests early on in the project.

forgotten gentleman
Monday, November 12, 2001

We took about 500 beta applications... We're accepting them pretty much randomly on an incremental basis to try to keep the flow of bugs at a rate we can handle. On days when we have 20 known bugs we have to fix, we don't take new applicants. When we get back down to zero bugs, we release another beta and take another 50 applicants or so.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, November 13, 2001

In that case I was not lucky enough to get a beta :-(

Sunish Issac
Tuesday, November 13, 2001

Yes...but the "beta application" is a good marketing tool all by itself.  I know I've watched my e-mail more closely the last several weeks-hopeful for a beta.  Now I'm looking forward to the product release.

Guy Bjerke
Wednesday, November 14, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home