Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Decepion by Joel

Joel is using different nicks on this board.
No wonder there are so many people that like him, or is it, no wonder, he likes himself so much.
That's why I don't like this type of forums where no identity is required. Anonymous posts are better than deceptive ones.

detective
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

Actually this forum was never built with the intention of having a smart discussion, only an illusion of it, with Joel immitating Philip Greenspun.
I can say it has been a huge failure.

failure
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

I remember a letter of complaint regarding the 'Dave Allen' show on the BBC.

Dave Allen is a very funny, highly irrelevant and sometime offensive comedian.

The letter went something like this:
"
I was disgusted to hear the foul language and blaphamys of Dave Allen.  The show just kept move to lower and lower depths of depravity, and after a half hour of this I found myself disgusted.

The second week was even worse!

Disgusted of Hartlepool.
"

I remember thinking - If you don't like, why don't you just change channel?

You guys remind me of Disgusted of Harlepool.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

"I can say it has been a huge failure. "

For you perhaps. I enjoy it. But then I don't come here for religious wars about the .net framework. I come here because I enjoy reading points of view, whether I agree or not or have something to add or not, and because I am actually a fog creek customer who poked around the website a little and found a few interesting places.

Whatever happened, by the way, to respecting someone's right to publish what they like on their own printing press (or website or whatever)?

No ones asking you to agree - in fact i've thought "can I have some of what he's smoking" a few times myself, but if you can't deal with people who don't see things the same way as you do, you are in for a big shock when you log off and get out there in the real world.

Robert Moir
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

Joel?  is that you?

deeply anonymous
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

LOL
I rather like the idea, a list filled by one person...all arguments and discussions coming from the same person...an apparently popular website fully occupied by the owner.
Panning out...the same persons work, to outside viewers a busy, successful software company.  Yet within the confines of its walls, a dark secret lies hidden.  A single individual lurks, deeply schizophrenic, responding to emails he himself has written....repaying loans using money he has paid himself for a product that only he has used....

We know your secret now Joel...come clean...

late night worker
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

No, no. That was an energy company called Enron.

Hugh Wells
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

I demand that I am myself.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

No, I am spartacus!

Jack of all(?), master of none
Wednesday, May 08, 2002

You're a looney...

Paul Brinkley
Wednesday, May 08, 2002

Apparently John Nash's kid was here...

Rex Guo
Wednesday, May 08, 2002

here are some of the aliases jole has been posting as:

consultatron
anon
excel newbie
Hugh Wells
bella
Prakash S
H1-B
b
pb

detective
Wednesday, May 08, 2002

You know, there are automated ways to determine what subset of posts are from the same person.  Huffman codes, chains...

Sammy
Thursday, May 09, 2002

....I wish I knew what you were talking about, it sounds interesting...

I might be Joel....(sung to the tune of 'They might be giants')
Thursday, May 09, 2002

"Detective Troll and the Mystery of the Missing T"

dunno wair
Thursday, May 09, 2002

Mr. "might be Joel,"

This is an entertaining link on people sorting texts by  author just by analyzing File Compression.  Not suprising since zip is all about string frequences.
[ http://unisci.com/stories/20021/0204024.htm ]

Then there's another silly link, with that sweet nut Steve Gibson using Markov chains to listen to IRC users chatting.  Search for "Markov" on this page.
[ http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm ]

Programming Pearls (§15) and Practice of Programming (§3)  mention Markov text more in depth.

Sammy
Thursday, May 09, 2002

Hey Detective,

did u even bother to check my e-mail id?

This is really funny.

Prakash S
Friday, May 10, 2002

Hey Sammy,
you said:
This is an entertaining link on people sorting texts by author

was interesting indeed...

Then there's another silly link, with that sweet nut Steve Gibson using Markov chains to listen to IRC users chatting. Search for "Markov" on this page.
[ http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm ]

Actually Ive done some work with Markov chains, <g> But im not sure Id tackle what Steve claims to have done with them unless I had a good run up time.
Is that article meant to be a serious one?

Thanks for the references :)

T
Friday, May 10, 2002

Strangely enough, that article is how Steve normally Expresses himself.

Sammy
Friday, May 10, 2002

Detective, Hugh Wells is not Joel.

Hugh Wells
Sunday, May 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home