Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Ultimate Usability Test.

If one really wants to check the usability of any product, hire Homer Simpson. If he can use it anyone can.:-)

Prakash S
Friday, November 09, 2001

LOL, I know you meant this as a joke, but if you are designing for "general use" then keeping Homer in mind as a potential class of user maybe isn't a bad idea.

Robert Moir
Sunday, November 11, 2001

"Ooh! They have the internet on computers now!"
Homer Simpson

Matthew Lock
Monday, November 12, 2001

The one I like best was when he was working from home...

"err 'Press ANY key'.. which ones the Any key? I can see ESC, CTRL, Pig up... aww all this computer hacking is making me thirsty, think I'll order a Tab" <hammers the tab key> "Hey no time for that now, the computer's starting".

I think some of the lecturers at my place go through the above every day too when logging on, or at least thats the only rational way to explain our help desk logs.

Robert Moir

"Quick, what's the number for 911?"

Dan Maas

"Quick, what's the number for 911?"

hahahahah:-)

Someone on those lines should be able to use the product!:-)

Prakash S

Pop-up Dialog of the Future:

Press any key to continue.  This includes the keys with letters and numbers on them, like Q or A or 4, but not the keys with multiple letters or numbers on them, like Shift or F3.  You can press Enter, Tab, Esc, or Backspace to continue as well.  You can press Shift, Ctrl, or Alt will work, but only if you also press one of the letter or number keys (again, the ones with single letters or numbers on them).  But whatever you do, do NOT press Ctrl, Alt, and Delete at the same time.  Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock do not work, but you can press any key on the numpad other than Num Lock to continue.  Pressing the arrow keys or Insert, Delete, Home, End, Page Up, or Page Down will also let you continue.  Press any one of these keys, and no others, for best results.

If none of these keys works, please make sure your keyboard is plugged in.  If your keyboard is in another language, you're on your own.

Paul Brinkley
Tuesday, November 13, 2001

Please do not use this Software again.

Simon Lucy
Thursday, November 15, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home