Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Religion and war make for a complicated world...

Joel,

You know this: not everyone's smart enough to read in between the lines.

You say one thing; some people get mad at you for another. You say another, and others get mad at your for the first.

As more and more people read your site, you start to attract different types:

* Peers
* Interesting people with valuable ideas
* Customers, clients, summit organizers
* Folks with questions about what you write
* Folks with a different point of view
* Folks that provide useful criticism (rare)
* And morons with verbal diarrhea (common)

You're getting to be a popular guy. You're attracting the unwashed masses, and they're going to make it more difficult for you to focus on the rest of us who care about reading something thought provoking.

So, when you write your articles, forget about those who hang on your every word, and those who bash your every word. Focus on your peers (the ones who say the least in this forum).

And keep up the good work...

Vespa was my Peanut
Monday, May 06, 2002

Kudos on the latest article, Joel. I think you're spot on. It's all about the problem you're trying to solve, not the tool your using.

Ignore the trolls. Keep posting for those of us who are interested in what you have to say.

Matt Christensen
Monday, May 06, 2002

Ugh.. the trolls always have bad grammer and can't spell either which makes it that much more painful to read their diarrhea posts.

"i is a good programer"

Vespa couldn't have said it any better.  Ignore the morons and write for the rest of us.

John W.
Monday, May 06, 2002

Careful.  The arrogance of this thread attracts trolls and other shit-flies. ;-)

In praising someone, it's best not to be presumptuous. 

Anyway, it is a function of our industry's PR, that Joel's comments draw insanely extreme reactions as if he insulted... a religion.  Us in the industry should know better.

Richard Jenkins
Monday, May 06, 2002

The problem here is that not too long ago, Joel's articles moved from an internal world to a shrinkwrap world.  :-)  He can't make as many assumptions about what his audience knows as before, or else he alienates half of them...

Paul Brinkley
Tuesday, May 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home