Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

what is a superstar programmer?

--And when you're trying to recruit superstar programmers they will expect a plush private office.--

What is a superstar programmer?

Someone who writes an entire word processor by themselves?

Someone who writes a bug tracking system by themselves?

Someone who writes a bug tracking system with 3 other people?

Is it someone who gets any work done at all?

If I were to become a superstar programmer, aside from having my own office, how much money would I make? 2 million dollars a year? 200,000 a year? 100,000 a year?

Is it the same as being a non-superstar programmer, only I get my own office?

ghetto superstar
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

ghetto superstar wrote:
"What is a superstar programmer?"

Someone that is twice as expensive and five times as productive than then average programmer. It's the kind of guy/girl that saves less experienced programmers a day by giving them 2 hints in 30 seconds.

Jan Derk
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

how much does the superstar programmer get paid.

$1,000,000 instead of $70,000 ?

Even bad programmers make 70 grand. Does being a superstar programmer mean a superstar salary?

ghetto superstar
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

Renumeration depends on how your company pay scale is structured, and what benefits your company can offer. Some superstars will work cheap, but only if they get extra vacation time. Others don't care about anything but a paycheque, in which case it's up to your company policies. At Microsoft and Fog Creek, it's based on a "level" system, and you would put them in the appropriate level and pay them accordingly. Other companies would negotiate with them.

At the end of the day, there isn't a hard and fast answer.

Tim Sullivan
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

I believe unknown "superstar" programmers are around the $100k - $150k now, plus many benefit (six weeks vacations, etc.) The famous ones... well, they often are millionaires.

In my country, a superstar programmer get paid about $25k... of course, that kind of money is more valuable here than in the US. The only way to earn real money here is to be a manager or to have your own shop, doing whatever except programming (consulting, sales, raising cows...)

Leonardo Herrera
Thursday, May 02, 2002

If you have to ask...

Oh nevermind.

:-)

Eric W. Sink
Friday, May 03, 2002

Millions? Who are these superstar programmers making millions? Are they really making millions _programming_?

One would have to bill out $500/hr to make $1M a year, based on an reasonable number of billable hours/yr (about 2000).

I'm just wondering. It doesn't seem like being a "superstar" programmer leads to a superstar salary. However, if it does, maybe I'll try harder.

ghetto superstar
Friday, May 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home