Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Ram disk

Has anyone tried to use a ram disk on windows servers or workstations to improve perfomance?

Joseph Shmoe
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

The best way to speed up Windows is to burn your C: drive onto a CD and boot from a fast CD-ROM drive. A good 52x CD-ROM drive will smoke any mere single speed hard drive. You won't see an actual 52 times speedup because the CD-ROM has more latency, but it should be on the order of 20-30 times faster.

Xpurt
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

A 52x CD rom has a data transfer rate of 8.4 MB/sec.

http://eacer.com/ac656a56xcdr.html

A relatively low end hard drive (5200 rpm, ATA) will give you 14.5 MB/sec avg.

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/personal/family/0,1085,279,00.html

So, no, even without the worse latency of a CD ROM.

billm
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

The ram disk msdn sample warns that the w2k cache mgr
will do a better job.  Good article link follows:
http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=60&ArticleID=3864

somebody loves me
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

A RAM disk is only really helpful if write performance is the limiting factor in some operation that the system commonly performs.

Due to filesystem caching, repeated reads of the same data from a magnetic disk will approach the speed of a RAM disk.

In a software development environment, you might see a slight increase in speed during the build process, depending on how many intermediate data files are produced by your build process. Most compilers these days keep intermediate results in memory, anyway, so there's no benefit there.

There are some cases where frequent updates to a database will justify using a RAM disk, but those situations are quite rare.

-Mark

Mark Bessey
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

The funniest thing I ever saw was a friend of mine who insisted that he got his system running faster by putting his Windows swap file on a ram disk. No matter what I did, I couldn't convince him of how wrong this was.

Chris Tavares
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

that is hilarious! do you get out much?

krusty
Friday, May 03, 2002

XPurt, do you really think that 52x is the speed of a CD-ROM drive in relation to a HDD running at single speed?  Where on earth did you get your technical education? Bonehead U?  The 52x is in relation to a 1x CD-ROM drive and bears no relationship to HDD transfer rate, Channel Speed or hardware Architecture.  BTW, thanks for the laugh.

Greg Kellerman
Friday, May 03, 2002

;) Actually, I thought the original question was a joke too. Its incredibly vague, barely related to the site, and signed "Joe Shmoe".

Xpurt
Sunday, May 05, 2002

Xpurt:
;) Actually, I thought the original question was a joke too. Its incredibly vague, barely related to the site, and signed "Joe Shmoe".

My most sincere and humble apologies.  I attributed the original post to you reading it amiss.  I have now slunk off to the edge of computerdom and have whacked myself with a floppy disk 39 time.

Greg Kellerman
Wednesday, May 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home