Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Mind Mapping

Hi!
Is anyone around here using "Mind Mapping" ( http://members.ozemail.com.au/~caveman/Creative/Mindmap/mindmapfaq.html ) on a regular basis?

Michael K
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

I"ve used some mind mapping tools before (I can't remember what they were called), but I found that the web-like organization of ideas is hard to keep in my mind all at once. It's much easier for me to navigate mentally through a traditional hierarchy, so I ditched the mind-mapping tools.

Benji Smith
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

I use that at times (tools like mindmanager or axon), especially when I need to produce some kind of report from very unstructured data.

It also works well to put ideas together and put them in the right branches.

It works well for me but YMMV.

Philippe Back
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

I'm using MindManager software (see http://www.mindjet.com) dayly and like it a lot. It's one of the most useful programs I ever had. I'm using it for everything - note taking, planning, software design, to prepare presentations (it exports to PowerPoint) and articles, etc. Give it a try, they have a trial version downloadable.

Igor Krivokon
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

I use Visio for diagramming, but Inspiration ( www.inspiration.com ) for mind mapping. It's quick and gets the job done.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Speaking from experience of using paper maps while
in college:

If you know the topic your speaking about well, they
are nice to use for presentations, because they give
you the opportunity to easy skip or go back to parts
out-of-order.

For note-taking I find them practically worth-less,
since we don't know how much space you should
allocate for each part. Things always ends up
crammed into the lower-right corner.

I haven't tried computer-assisted maps, though.

Roland Kaufmann
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

I read this study guide with an interesting take on note taking during class. You draw a diagonal line down the paper, and that's the main topic. Then from the middle you start a branch structure with sub and sub sub topics, etc. Each topic would be written on the line as it branches out from the center.

like this
-----------

I'm sure there's a name for this kind of diagram, I've seen software programs that kind of reproduce it.

Anyway, it would prevent your notes from ending up all in the bottom righthand corner. Mind maps are supposed to start from the center anyway.

MarkTAW
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

Check out Tony Buzan's books on amazon.  I saw the original BBC series way back in 1974-75 and used the method regularly for note taking in lectures and project planning.  If you have the time its very worthwhile.

One thought though, most people pick up on the Mind Mapping diagraming aspect at the expense of the 'regular review' plan and unless you are fortunate to have a photographic memory it is worth reading Buzan's original books in order to pick up on this.  If I remember correctly, he recommended doing reviews of mind maps at 10mins, 1 day, 1 week and so on untill the Map "enters long term memory". 

Elwyn
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

MarkTAW-  that's called a fishbone diagram.

I use MM to map out an overview of a subject and to sort collections of ideas into a more orderly format. For detail work I prefer a more linear structure.

tangram
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

Tony's book is also on my wish list. =)

Ahhh fishbone diagram. That makes sense, it certainly ends up looking like that. Or maybe a palm print...

MarkTAW
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

I am using it regular for about a year.  Really good for making presentations, requirements analysis and documentation. Lot of my current projects documentation is in the form of Mindmaps. 

I found it especially useful during specification and design phase when evaluating multiple approaches to problem/design.

Nitin Bhide
Friday, May 03, 2002

I am using MindMapper Prov3.5, MindMapper is a mind mapping sofware product for the PC and has a companian PDA version for the PALM as well. I find that MindMapper is easy to learn and use with more feachers over mindmanager so I switched.

http://www.mindmapperUSA.com

Brian Thomas
Saturday, November 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home