Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

embarrassing excel book request

Hi,
I'm a computer programmer...and I don't know how to use Microsoft Excel properly. I have only used it to employ joel-style schedules. I've never really used it to compute anything seriously.

I am working on a contract project right now, where I am creating an  ASP for a very specific vertical market. I think this project has a good chance of being successful. However, I believe the guy who is running the project is going to put himself out of business with his pricing scheme. I think I have a better idea for pricing and would 1) like to test my idea via plugging some numbers in to excel and 2) like to use the spreadsheet to illustrate my idea to the guy running the show. 

Is there a good book for learning excel which won't seem too tedious to a programmer with a degree in mathematics?

I'm sure I can figure excel out on my own, but I'm just wondering if there is an excellent book that would be worth reading over this coming weekend, which would make me a complete excel wizard.

Thanks!

excel newbie
Friday, April 26, 2002

Take a look at:

http://www.mathtools.net/Learning/Books_and_Tutorials/Excel/

Ged Byrne
Friday, April 26, 2002

I would recommend the O'Reilly Excel in a Nutshell book.  It goes through all the menu commands and in plain English describes what they do.  I've never gone "under the hood" in Excel, but this book is great for figuring out what Excel can do from the surface.

Mary
Friday, April 26, 2002

I recomend the Woodly Leonard book, Woody Leonhard Teches Microsoft Office XX, (where xx is the verson). You can pick it up for under twenty bucks, and it will tell you how do just about anything with Microsoft Office. Including how do verfication of your numbers and make them look pretty.

I recomend just about anything from this author relating to Office.

RE
Sunday, April 28, 2002

I've found John Walkenbach's Excel 2000 Bible (IDG Books) to be the best Excel book around. I guess its all a question of personal taste...

GH
Monday, April 29, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home