Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

IMHO

Can we agree to ban the acronym IMHO from this discussion group from now on?

Or do people like being dishonest too much?

Whining Git
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

I thought that H in IMHO stands for "humble," not "honest." I may be wrong.

Marat Zborovskiy
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

In My Humble Opinion

i.e. "This is my opinion, I may be wrong/feel free to disagree with me."

MarkTAW
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

IMHO, this is a complete waste of time.

Joe Blandy
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Even meaning humble it always seems to be used by people who are about as far away from humble as it is possible to be without completely disappearing up their own asses....

Whining Git's Mom
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

FWIW, I agree.

dunno wair
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

AFAIK, IMHO is not much of a problem

Anonymous coward
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

ROTFLMAO

MarkTAW
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

I agree.  Can't we assume that everything you are saying is your opinion?  Why would you enter a discussion to espouse some one else's opinion?

CharlesC
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

I'm all for obliterating any of these acronyms. They smack of 1995 chat groups. In general, if people know what you're saying without you spelling out the words, they're probably pretty empty words in the first place.

Benji Smith
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

FU

Bella
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Well, IMNAL, but I think Bella has a case.

Matthew Christensen
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

Well, IANADBIPOOT, and I think Bella has a touch of the flu.

spiny norman
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

IANADBIPOOT?

Whining Git
Wednesday, April 24, 2002

"Even meaning humble it always seems to be used by people who are about as far away from humble as it is possible to be without completely disappearing up their own asses.... "

OTOH isn't it a useful device to show when you are stopping talking about facts and starting to talk about your opinion or interpretation of those facts.

Rob Moir

IANAD - I Am Not A Doctor
BIPOOT - But I Play One On TV (?)

"I'm all for obliterating any of these acronyms. They smack of 1995 chat groups. In general, if people know what you're saying without you spelling out the words, they're probably pretty empty words in the first place. "

I disagree. They soften the conversation up. Text can come off as pretty harsh, especially if you miss a word somewhere. These things serve as roadposts saying "hey, friendly conversation here, I'm not mocking you."

Besides, all words are just symbols. We've simply jammed some symbols together to create new symbols. If you take your argument one step further, all words should be abolished, after all, if you understand this string of characters without it being demonstrated for you, they must be pretty empty symbols.

Unless I'm misreading you, that last sentances is really kind of awkward.

MarkTAW

Sorry. Didn't mean to come off as antagonistic.

Really, I could hardly care less about the acronyms. They don't take any meaning away from someone's opinion. I just think they don't add much either.

When someone adds "YMMV" to the end of their post, I generally have already gathered that my mileage may vary from the tone of the post. Likewise with IMHO or OTOH, etc. etc. It just seems a little redundant to me.

But It really isn't worth so much discussion. I hope I haven't made anyone upset.

Benji Smith

"But It really isn't worth so much discussion. I hope I haven't made anyone upset. "

Don't you mean BIRIWSMDIHIHMAU?

Joe Blandy

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

The World

For the life of me, I can't come up with a sentence whose words abbreviate to Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh...

Paul Brinkley
Thursday, April 25, 2002

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh

Almost any and all aggrevation about really raucus reasonably realistic garbage gains gone garantuon here have helped host headaches.

duh.

MarkTAW
Thursday, April 25, 2002

MOM where can I find a dictionary whith the meaning of all these abbreviations ?

(MOM: My Oh My)

effisk
Monday, May 24, 2004

There's a complete site dedicated to IMHO:
http://www.imho.ch/

Aad de Graaf
Thursday, August 05, 2004

The meaning of all these abbreviations:

http://www.acronymfinder.com

Aad de Graaf
Thursday, August 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics