Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Religious Discussions

"... Furthermore, the Darwin OS is released under an "Open Source" license, which is just another name for Communism. They try to hide all of this under a facade of shiny, "lickable" buttons, but the truth has finally come out: Apple Computers promote Godless Darwinism and Communism."

Yes, that's right, Apple is the Devil, and Open Source is Communism. I wonder if these people are pro-Microsoft, or is Bill Gates also an instrument of the Devil?

http://members.truepath.com/objective/propaganda.html

<this is a humorous post meant to poke fun at the 'religious' microsoft v. open source debates that were taking place here a few weeks ago, definately not intended to offend anybody's creed or OS preference>

Mark W
Monday, April 22, 2002

"I go down to Speakers Corner I'm thunderstruck
They got free speach, tourists, police in trucks
Two men say there're Jesus one of them must be wrong." -Dire Straits

Doug Withau
Monday, April 22, 2002

Don't forget the MS Tools vs. Delphi debates that pop up every few days.

James Wann
Monday, April 22, 2002

MS also thinks open source is communist.

http://linux.com/article.pl?sid=02/04/22/2113214

"Bill Gates took another shot at the Open Source question last week, and came up with some interesting new spin. Essentially, if your country standardises on Linux, then you're not going to have any IT jobs in your country, says Bill."

I posted this because I know a number of people who read this forum are interested in this topic, and have strong feelings on it. Please don't let this turn into a flame war/religious debate.

I'll stop /.ing now.

MarkTAW
Tuesday, April 23, 2002

First, those threats rendered by MS is simply FUD

An explanation of FUD can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html

There are probably two important points to the open source movement that needs to be pointed out:

#1)    Open source is Unix. Unix is Linux, Sun Systems = Unix. In other words, any talk of success in the open source market generally means a blow to Sun Systems. While movement in the open source community can hurt Microsoft, it in general hurts Sun systems *much* more. Linux and sSun are direct competitors.  Sun might endorse Linux, but that simply means that sun will be worth less $$, and their cost structure will have to change (ie: less pay, or smaller company). It is that simple.

I was a SCO Unix meeting some years ago, and I asked the rep what are they going to do about Linux? His response was classic FUD. A business cannot rely on Linux do to legal reasons, as there is some code in Linux that opens them up to lawsuits.  I recognized his response as classic FUD.

Of course when IBM and Oracle announced whole handedness support of Linux, then the Unix Vendor SCO was finished. They were purchased by Red Hat....and if SCO was on the ball, it would have happened the other way around!

I have to admit that I am fan of Linux, and yet the ONLY intelligent real competitor with a brain to MS is Sun systems, and they have the most to lose in open source.

#2)    If the OS becomes free (as is Linux), then what becomes valuable? Ask your self what would happen to the cost of a air plane ride if the jet, fuel, and the pilot were free? In fact, the cost of a air flight would actually go up!

Why? Well while you are reading this, you would say, hey lets fly to England for some beer, and real English fish and chips. Of course all the women in the office want to jump on a free plane ride to Paris to purchase some perfume. Of course the folks down the hall want to jump on a free plane ride to watch the next F1 race in Spain this weekend. Why not.....it is Free to go!

Thus, when you arrive at the air port, there would be a incredible mob scene as half the city is now at the air port for the free plane ride. Thus, while standing in line, and I have a important business meeting in France, I will offer the person in front of me some money to move up in line up. In fact, that simple low cost fight from England to France will now actually INCREASE in cost, due to people who actually NEED to fly from France to Engalhed start paying a airport user fee. Thus, while the flight is free, to control and manage the mob scene at the airport, the user’s fees and cost of what people are willing to pay to use the airport will eventually balance. In other words, if air planes be come free, then you better invest in air ports. I also believe that the cost of flights from places like England to France would actually go up in cost, since those people who need the flight will actually pay a higher user fee then people who just want to buy some perfume.

Ok, so a O/S is now free, so IBM who in a sense now owns a bunch of consultants and machines will be the winner. This is why IBM has endorsed Linux from top to bottom. From the smallest pc to the largest Mainframe from IBM can now run Linux. They are air port owners, and have been very good at selling systems for years. They don’t sell a OS, nor do they really sell computers....they sell solutions. That is what IBM does well.

When I look at the company down the street that is running Linux, they need the same amount of support that they guy down the street running a win2000 server does (we can aruge raw $$ here, but the costs are very close right now). In other words, the general jobs in the IT sector will NOT be hurt by open source. What will change somewhat, is who is going to get the support contract.

Since Sun is also a systems integrator, and application seller, it really means that IBM and Sun are also now heading for a big clash. MS just has to sit back and watch these two folks beat each other up...

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal
Friday, April 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home