Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

yet another .NET what's the big deal question

Joel says:

>>I've been having a lot of fun developing The Fog Creek Control Panel with ASP.Net. It's a web page that allows us to track critical business data in real time. I can see things like how many people are registering the CityDesk starter edition, how many affiliate applications need to be processed, how many bug reports have arrived from customers (2 so far today), and so on. This morning I added two features: one gets detailed order information for any purchase in our database, and the other lists open purchase orders people have placed with us. Elapsed time to implement both features: 20 minutes.
------
I've had to do tasks like these every day since mid 1998.  Writing functions which aggregate data from a single database and display them on a web page have always taken about 20 minutes, if you know what you are doing. Even aggregating information from multiple data sources isn't really that hard or time consuming, provided you understand what is going on.

I still don't get what the big win is with .NET. If I already know how to build "web services" quickly with other tools, will it change my life? Or is it something that makes it real easy for people that don't know what they are doing to do what I already know how to do?

More importantly, can I make a lot of money doing this? I'm currently charging $85 an hour, because when aD bit the dust that was what my market would bear. However now it seems things are picking up a bit and I want to get back into the $150+/hour stratosphere. Will .NET help me get there?

arsdigitan
Saturday, April 20, 2002

I believe you should try it. Then you'll know what's the big deal.

I don't know about .NET yet, but as I want to move out from web development, I don't care.

Leonardo Herrera
Monday, April 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home