Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Book on VBA

Colleagues,

may somebody recommend a good book on VBA with Word emphasis? I don't know VB, but am certainly not a novice programmer.

Thanks!

Marat Zborovskiy
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

VBA Developer's Handbook, 2nd Edition
by Ken Getz, Mike Gilbert

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782129781/qid=1019103767/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_3_2/103-2300787-8981467

thanks Mike:-)

Prakash S
Thursday, April 18, 2002

VBA Developer's Handbook is an excellent book, but by its own admission it doesn't deal much (although it does a little bit) with automating the  MS Office apps.  It focuses much more on the language itself than on using it to do stuff with the Office apps, or with Word in particular. 

So if you're looking for something that's going to give you much specific about automating Word, you'd probably want to find a different book (I don't have any suggestions for that, though I do think there's at least a book or two out there that focuses on VBA programming of Word).  But VBA Developer's Handbooks would be a great book to use to supplement that book.

-- Herb

Herbert Sitz
Thursday, April 18, 2002

I have a fantastic suggestion. Sitting on my bookshelf right now is VBA for Microsoft Office 2000 by Paul McFedries (ISBN: 067231567X). It was a book that I used when first teaching myself to program.

Definitely buy the book.

My second piece of advice is that when you install office on your computer, make sure to install all of the Help files, including the VB help. When you're in the VBA environment, it knows which application you're using, and the help files adjust to display help for the Word object model or the Excel object model or whatever.

I finished a rather complex programming project in Word (about 3500 lines of code) using the McFedries book. When it lacked what I needed, I turned to the VBA Help. And when I couldn't find what I needed in either of those sourced (rare), I went to MSDN and searched.

Good luck. Have fun. If you're like me, the simplicity of programming office applications using VBA will turn you on to more advanced programming languages/projects.

Benji Smith
Thursday, April 18, 2002

Upon re-reading your post, you say you're not a novice programmer. The book I mentioned above is geared toward a novice. It explains programming basics (using VBA) before getting into the specific object models for Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access.

However, if you're not familiar with VB keywords and syntax, it would probably be helpful for you to at least skim the beginners section of this book. You may understand the concept of variable declaration, but do you know what it looks like in VB?

This book should get you up and running very quickly.

Benji Smith
Thursday, April 18, 2002

Word Developers Handbook (also Sybex) did a fairly good job on Word VBA, but I don't think it's been updated for Word 2002.

(Full disclosure: I was the technical editor on that book)

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, April 18, 2002

I haven't read this but its on Word 2000 VBA - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1861002556/glance/104-5625751-9269560

Ben
Thursday, April 18, 2002

The 'VB - VBA in a nutshell' book from O'reilly is a solid reference, Along with the 'MS Office (97 - 2000..) VB programmer's guide' for the Word object model (and all the others). 

Al
Sunday, April 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home