Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is this still true

But You're Completely Wrong. How Can I Let You Know?

Ah, yes, for this purpose we have a truly excellent discussion group. As Dr. Harvey Motulsky says, "The forum is great because you attracted a group of thoughtful people who can write clearly. No flames. No all caps. No crap. Little HTML showing where it shouldn't. No one replying just to be the first to reply."

from : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/navLinks/fog0000000259.html

Is this still true?  The average IQ seems to have gone down lately.  Any idea how much longer their attention span will last?

Am I now going to encounter lots of flames, all written in all caps?  If so, please include html in your crap.

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

First post!!

Yes, I think it's still true. It's getting noiser as people talk more - I think thread mode will break down eventually (The Wiki at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ThreadModeFalselyBlame is discussing the limitations of thread modes), but at the moment it's OK.

Gives me something to do in the mornings anyway...

Katie Lucas

I take this thread to mean, "In the past, people offered rational advice on attaining goals.  Now people just want to win arguments on whether X is better than Y."  Is this correct?

By the way, I would like to offer the observation that as people code more, their ability to judge rationally becomes skewed.  The problems solved are simple but numerous, and motivation becomes more important than deliberate thought.  Therefore computing religions are inevitable.

Anon

No longer true.

Harvey Motulsky

More true than ever, I would say.

pb

Prove it, I say!

Ben Keller

An online screenwriting forum that I periodically read has a rule: no posting about posting. This forum would do well to have a similar rule.

And, in the spirit of taking my own advice, that's it for this post.

Benji Smith

Personally, I'm getting fed up with the 'How Dare Joel Be So Arrogant AsTo Disagree With Me!' threads.

Surely they can't last much longer, because all the noise is making me miss the interesting threads.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, April 18, 2002

Anon,

Thats exactly what I mean.

Perhaps you are right about computer religions being inevitable, but it is annoying and I hope we can keep a site that follows the creed of 'best tool for the job.'

Ged Byrne
Thursday, April 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home