Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Poll: would you release a .net desktop project

How many will be releasing a .net desktop product in the next year or early next year?  Why or why not?

I'm talking about general public or niche applications, not custom applications.  I'm also talking about desktop products, not web applications.

Chris
Monday, April 15, 2002

SourceGear will be releasing a .NET desktop product this year:

http://vault.sourcegear.com/

So far, the .NET platform has been very comfortable, with a lot less "bleeding edge pain" than I expected.  We showed demos of this product in our booth at Tech-Ed last week.

With a more mass-market product, I would be a lot more hesitant about the deployment issues of the .NET runtime.  We're assuming (and betting) that software developers will be among the people who are most likely to have the .NET framework on their machine.

Eric W. Sink
Monday, April 15, 2002

I'm in beta testing with a VB6 desktop product, and gearing up for another product.  Been debating whether or not to use VB.NET for this second effort.  If anyone can enlighten me on the following, I'd appreciate it:

- Is VB.NET ready for prime time?
- In what scenarios should you stay with VB6?
- Is it possible to have both VB.NET and VB6 on the same machine?

Thanks.

Brandon Knowle
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

1. I think it's ready for prime time.
2. The most pressing needs to stay with VB6 are (a) your target population isn't likely to have the 20MB .NET Framework (b) maintenance of existing code.
3. Yes, they'll happily coexist on the same machine.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Would you release a product that was distributed on a CD with the .net framework when a 20 mb download isn't a factor?

Chris
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Depends on two things:

* stable functional language support (not fast, just stable)
* ability to extend Mono's IL beyond one that features C# most prominently

Almost certainly, this won't be done within your poll's timeframe.

But Scheme and Python implementations did not take too long to hit Java, I would say about 5 years.  And that's considering the JVM is fairly hostile to other languages, while Microsoft at least made sure to get feedback from language communities.

Hopefully there are good counters against Microsoft's legal death squads...

Janos M.
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Any project coded by hand using .NET is a "custom application",  isn't it ?

Bella
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

By "custom" I meant products written and sold for multiple "unknown" users as opposed to applications written for a single client whose operating enviroment you have some control over or at least know.

Chris
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

If you're distributing on CD (or to users with the willingness and ability to download the .NET runtimes), and you're sure you can develop your product in .NET, I'd go for it.

Possible gotchas which my force the answer to the second question to be no...
1) You have to support Windows 95 (Win 98 and ME are okay) or NT 3.x (NT 4.0, Win 2K, and XP are okay).
2) You use 3rd-party VB/COM controls and the vendor has not provided a .NET product yet. Some of these have problems with COM interop; events aren't fired or aren't caught. This is far from universal, but it's something to watch out for.
3) A large portion of your user base works on very low-end machines. Running .NET apps on something less than a PII with 64 MB probably won't be a good idea.

Dave Rothgery
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

> Would you release a product that was distributed on a CD with the .net framework when a 20 mb download isn't a factor?

Only if the installation of the .NET framework is completely transparent to the user.

B
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

We plan to translate our Java CAD application into C# this year.  Luckily, Microsoft is releasing J# soon, which should be a great help.

Paul F. Williams
Thursday, April 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home