Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bug Tracking

To Joel's faithful readers, I compare the super expensive and not so good FogBugz with <a href="http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/default.jsp"
>Jira</a>

meagain
Friday, April 12, 2002

"Super expensive"?  Doesn't give any of the rest of it much credibility, I'm afraid...

Chris Dunford
Friday, April 12, 2002

The JIRA bug tracker costs $800/server and FogBUGZ costs only $200 for 5 users. Admittedly, a FogBUGZ site license costs $2000, but if you have more than 20 engineers, then you can probably afford it. If you have more than 20 engineers and NO bug tracker, then you can't afford NOT to use it! ;-)

Banana Fred
Friday, April 12, 2002

Jira is free for open source developement and it has a much superior UI and many more features.
FogBugs is expensive because it doesn't offer much more than the open source pacckages out there
Bugzilla and Scarab are more powerfull than FogBugs and are both free and open source.

me
Friday, April 12, 2002

Yawn.

Tony
Friday, April 12, 2002

Maybe it's just my editorial background, but I'd take a critique more seriously if the author could be bothered to spell the product name correctly. Or if there was more substance to the critique than that another package has "a much superior UI and more features".

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, April 12, 2002

Or if the author bothered to use a real name.

Chris Dunford
Friday, April 12, 2002

Anonymous posting seems to be something that is incomprehensible for the visitors of this site, oh right you guys are from the windows world where there is no respect for privacy, security ...
Anyway if Joel doesn't want people like me posting he can
improve his terrible discussion board or maybe use an open source one because it is too hard to write a good discussion or forum software.

me
Friday, April 12, 2002

ugh

the other me
Friday, April 12, 2002

you'll get ragged on at slashdot if you post something with a lot of opinions as anonymous coward.  it's not a windoze thing :)

Razib Khan
Saturday, April 13, 2002

There's plenty of anonymous posting here, and no one complains.  But a post like that one can't be taken seriously when you fail to disclose who you are and what your relationship to the other product is.  It's simply juvenile and not worth anyone's time to read.

Chris Dunford
Saturday, April 13, 2002

It depends on the complexity of your project.  To be honest, I would say that any team of under 7 developers can simply use an Excel spreadsheet that's on a shared drive.  Beyond that, you could just have multiple sheets broken down by some subgrouping. 

Excessively robust bug tracking is a classic case of overengineering, IN SOME CASES.  It is a means to end end, not the end.

Bella
Sunday, April 14, 2002

I might have been interested in having a look at JIRA but if this poster is reflective at all of the outfit behind it, I'm completely turned off.

pb
Monday, April 15, 2002

bella - with the spreadsheet is historical data, for example, not a problem? you can make a spreadsheet which is as complicated as a "real" bug tracking system, but in that case you might as well _have_ a "real" bug tracking system (in fact you might as well write one). what i am saying is, is the benefit (simplicity presumably) worth the reduced featureset? what features do you find you do need and what do you find that you don't?

nope
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

Hi there,

One of our customers sent me this link - I would like to say that, while we're flattered by the poster, this thread is absolutely nothing to do with Atlassian or our staff.

Personally I find it quite tacky to attack a competitors product on their own bulletin board, so I apologise to fog creek for this - please be sure it was nothing to do with us.

Cheers,
Mike

PS To Mr Anonymous Poster, JIRA is always spelt in capitals ;)
PPS We're looking forward to FogzBugz 3 and the ensuing competition! I'm sure we will both improve the standard of tracking for all development companies.

Mike Cannon-Brookes
Friday, November 01, 2002

Another competitor to FogzBugz and JIRA - GRAN PM ( http://www.granpm.com ).
Any comments ?

Maxim Kramarenko
Monday, November 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home