Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Marimba

I remember going to Marimba's fist developer training. Very exciting. But alas, their technology has been "repurposed" as configuration middleware. I don't think Castanet as we knew it exisists. I stopped paying attention when they killed (sold?) Bongo.  Joel, maybe Kim would do the PR for your 2.0 ;-)

Dan Sickles
Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Remind me, what was it? I seem to remember everyone getting excited about it and it turning out to be some rather dull Java API for downloading software.

I wish I had bought the book about it to add to my putative library of 'things that didn't really catch on' (along with the Copeland book and the LameDuc - sorry OpenDoc book).

Armand Tansarian
Wednesday, April 10, 2002

i remember reading about it in the wall street journal years ago, but all i remember of substance was biographical stuff about the hot CEO.

Razib Khan
Thursday, April 11, 2002

It was "push technology."  The notion that you could double-click on an icon on your desktop and launch a word processor.

But wait -- that word processor would come from the net.

The concepts still exist, though.  A lot of software like Morpheus use it to forcibly upgrade user software, removing much of the need for backwards-compatibility.  Noble idea, but that mechanism apparently allowed a rival to shut down Morpheus.

I feel bad for investors.  They were so entranced by improvements in infrastructure, when infrastructure is useless to the user without something compelling that uses it.

fenris
Thursday, April 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home