Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Career Programmer: Guerilla Tactics for an Imp

Have you read this book. I read one chap from it on http://www.codeguru.com/columns/chapters/Guerilla3.html

d
Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Light read. Assumes you've never really thought about business processes and that you're smarter than the managers anyhow. Sort of Dilbert-with-attitude.

I wasn't especially inspired, but then, I stay as far away as possible from actual management types.

Mike Gunderloy
Wednesday, April 10, 2002

The guy may well have just said "I think I am good".

Four words instead of forty thousand!

Tony
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Joel what do u say about this book?

d
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Thanks for the article!  I think it's important for people to know how social an activity programming is at most companies. 

I personally became a bit antisocial when I had to learn programming very quickly, because there is nothing worse than being an inexperienced programmer racing against deadlines, and I had to stop spending time with friends.  (I didn't come to programming as a matter of choice.)  Now I've had to come around full circle and deal with coworker morale.

It's a hard skill not to write in a way that makes one sound self-superior.  So I don't hold that against him.  In fact, I'd like to order this book.

Roger
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Didn't read the book but I did read the reviews and it bought this to mind:  Programmers rarely advanced out of programming and almost never out of the IT organization.  It simply wasn't  place to begin a climb to the top or even to the middle.  At least that was my experience in "really big company."

I think that the programmer has two job environments:  Job one is working with the illogical, irrational humans and unpredictable business climate.  Job two is working with logical, rational, determinate computer systems.  Oh well, accountants rarely make to the top either.

Of course most folks aren't that ambitious.

tk
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Most developers I know, and IT management types seem to have a disdain for "the business" (suits) because they don't know what they want and can't follow simple instructions.

From a business perspective, IT folks tend to be difficult, demanding, slobby... The IT managers who make the switch tend to be the ones who try to see things from a business perspective and are generally presentable (i.e. dress in suits). They also have good personalities and try to see other peoples' point of view. They're the people who are middle managers but just happen to be in technology.

When talking to an IT person you can tell if they're really trying to understand your point of view or secretly judging you... even if they're not they may look that way.

At least that's my experience in my huge multinational corporation.

Mark W
Friday, April 12, 2002

He's rather hard on the maitenance programmer, isn't he.

Ged Byrne (Unappreciated Maintenance Programmer)
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home