Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 vs Oracle 9i

I am planning to learn one of these databases, am not sure which one to go ahead with. Which one is more widely used in the industry?

I am pretty much a newbie to databases.

thanks,

Prakash S
Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Search for jobs on both, highest number wins

Ben

This is in my opinion as much a question about where you would want to work, as a technology question. In my experience Oracle is mostly used in places where there are a huge number of transactions, mainly banks, insurance companies, airlines and such type companies. There are also some large web sites that run Oracle.

I've come across MS SQL Server in many ASP's and smaller websites and intranets. Those places might be funnier to work for than say a huge corporate-politics corporation type place, but they are not dealing with the same number
of transactions, and its not the same type of applications.

I have done a bit of both DB's and I prefer Oracle from a technical standpoint, without being religious, which has a
more mature language for creating triggers and stored procedures (PL/SQL vs. Transact SQL). It also has SQL extenstions that simplify your life more than other DB's.

The demand for Oracle knowledge is high. I take it demand for MS SQL Sewrver knowledge is also high, so it would not be a problem finding jobs on both platforms, at least not where I am (Sweden).

Patrik

I would learn btrieve, just joking, the question is like saying, what would you drive, a ford or a chev?

Tony

Well, if you're primarly working on windows platforms, learn SQL Server. If you're working on Unix platforms, learn Oracle.

Matt Christensen

Do you want to work or get things done? ;-)

mssqlboy

All snarky answers aside, to answer your original question: Oracle is currently more widely used in industry, especially on very large databases. It enjoys the same reputation that IBM once did: nobody ever got fired by choosing Oracle.

But MS SQL Server has made great strides in competing in the large database arena in the last few releases.

The future of both appears secure to me. If you know nothing about databases, concentrate on understanding the basics: the relational model, modeling as a means of design, the SQL language. Those are more portable skills than expertise with a particular package.

Mike Gunderloy

If you're just getting started, try MySQL or MS SQL.

pb

Thanks everyone. Going to start of with the basics  of databases, SQL and then move towards Oracle.

Prakash S
Sunday, April 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home