Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is it just me, or...

...have a bunch of topics vanished from this discussion area? I gather from the links in the individual topics that the main page lists "recent topics", but I can't find a way to see "all topics". Bug, failure in discoverability, stupidity on my part...?

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, October 30, 2001

It's a feature to keep the discussion current.  Old topics fall off.  (I'm pretty sure if you linked to them, they are still there, just not visible here).

<note to self: get ready for multitudes of posts criticizing said feature and requests for new features>

Michael Pryor

Note that the links to the main topics page is titled "RECENT topics" (emphasis added). :-)

Now the question is, how smart is the algorithm that discards "old" topics?  The key here (from ancient CompuServe sysop experience) is that you have to select based on the newest message in the topic, not the oldest message.  Lots of message board programmers never figure this out.

Chris Dunford

Oops, well, having read the original again I see that you did spot the "recent" bit.  My bad.

Chris Dunford

<<note to self: get ready for multitudes of posts criticizing said feature and requests for new features>>

Nah, I'm not like that....

Just a real serious question: What are you guys planning concerning this rather interesting corner on the web?

1) Converting to some serious bulletin board (like VBulletin).

2) Keep on using the current board and maybe add some features.

3) Not decided yet.

Jan Derk

Jan Derk

4) Its done.

It works just like we want/need it to, so basically its all the way at the bottom of our list of things to work on (like below buying toilet paper for the upstairs bathroom).

Michael Pryor

Ah, so it's not a bug, it's a feature. Just what I'd expect from a company with a Microsoft lineage. :)

Seriously, though, that's fine with me -- no feature request here. Reminds me a bit of "Puppy", the second BBS software I ever used as a sysop (written by Tom Jennings of Fido fame). Puppy stored messages in a 300-slot circular queue, so old messages were automatically overwritten by new ones. Helped keep the conversations fresh.

Anyhow, as long as it's by design I'll go back to just reading what's here.

Mike Gunderloy

<<4) Its done.>>

OK. It's a pity, but it's very clear.

Thanks for that,

Jan Derk

Jan Derk

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised by the increased and improved discussions that are now taking place on this new board. Much more than what was happening on the Lusenet version. You could have a new Slashdot here, Michael.

I don't think you should ignore the potential this has a discussion board for programmers and by extension, a free PR vehicle for FogCreek.

Madhu Menon

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home