Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How do you guys manage your bookmarks?

Hello everyone!

I have many hundreds of bookmarks and really don't want to miss any of them.

Now the question is:

How do you maintain a large collection of bookmarks while keeping them easy to access at the same time.

I'm using IE6 most of the time and I made lots of subfolders to organize them but it's still far from perfect.

Does anyone know of a tool that makes it easier to find stuff etc?

I'm looking forward to hearing your experience - I'm sure lots of people in this list have similar problems...

Patrick Ansari
Sunday, March 31, 2002

About 2 weeks ago I did a giant purge.  I dumped at least 500 bookmarks, probably many more.  There were so many I needed Google just for my own bookmarks.  Except for a very few choice ones, I just let them go.  It felt great.

tk
Sunday, March 31, 2002

A friend of mine manages his bookmarks by adding them to an HTML file. His bookmarks are arranged in tables with color-coded headings. The HTML file is set up as his home page.

It's a lot more work to get bookmarks recorded in the first place, but he sees the whole thing without having to expand bookmark folders, and his bookmark page is accessible from both IE and Netscape Navigator 4.7.

Of course, if you've got hundreds of links, that's probably not a workable solution.

mq
Sunday, March 31, 2002

I use a shareware app called Compass to manage 8,000 bookmarks in a hierarchical, Explorer-like structure. Has many useful features (notepad for each URL-never lose that PW and username again, export folders to emaill, etc.) MUCH better tha the lame Favorites in the browsers. Can move the HTML file it's all stored in between home and work easily to keep everything synchronized.

http://www.softgauge.com/compass/

Mike Sivertsen
Monday, April 01, 2002

I use yahoo companion. Import and Export options are available and you can access it from anywhere

Sunish
Monday, April 01, 2002

I use PowerSearch.com and it works well.

http://favorites.powersearch.com/html/default.asp

John Dawson
Monday, April 01, 2002

Google.com

Richard Caetano
Monday, April 01, 2002

I have had the same problem and my solution to the problem is as follows. I've created an web application where I store my bookmarks. This way I've first solved the first problem, which is that you want to be able to access the bookmarks from more than one computer and you don't want to have to syncronize different databases.

The nifty thing with using IE (or similar) is that you have a great feature to add a bookmark just by clicking a button when you're currently on the page you want to bookmark. I have solved this by just having one bookmark in the IE which does the same thing - only it adds it to my application as well.

The next problem is to be able to easly access your bookmarks when you have loads of them. I have solved this by making different interfaces for the same database. First you have the usual folders and subfolders. Secondly you have a search engine for your bookmarks. The third way is that you're able to set a category/subcategory for each bookmark, and thereby also access the bookmarks thru a web directory (like the ones that can be found on major search engines, for example Altavista).

I'm currently creating a public version of this bookmark application, but all features from my private application aren't implemented yet. If you want to have a look, you can find it at the URL below.

http://come.to/gangstacommunity

Tobias Nystrom
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

Oddly enough my solution is to use citydesk, that was my justification for buying it ;)
I add a new article for all the related peices of information I come across, from links to all those annoying little things you keep forgetting.  It's not perfect, at times I don't add stuff because I think it's too cumbersome to use for just adding a link, and I want my site to actually look like a site, but it's a lot better than what I had previously.  The fact that I don't have a windows box sitting there permanently readily usable has more to do with that though.
I like being able to store my links/info in an html structured site, and that's why citydesk is so useful for it, you can play about with the individual peices of information and generally not have to worry too much about large html files or large quantities of them, it handles it all for me.
When the site gets bigger I will probably add some kind of search tool to query the database and extract the information quicker than I could if I was browsing.

Colin Newell
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

Thanks for all your replies. I like the idea of having my bookmarks online as in the thing Tobias suggested. I had the same idea a while ago but couldn't be bothered to code this in ASP.

Patrick Ansari
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

I use Mozilla.

Mozilla stores your Bookmarks as HTML

I copy the HTML from Work back to home.

Crude but effective

Adam
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

I keep my bookmarks in a fairly simple hierarchy.  Since I find that a "fan-out" of around a dozen works for me, so I have that many top-level categories from computing to humor to law.  Each of those in turn either contains less than a dozen entries or has been further subdivided (e.g. computing goes from hardware through Python to software engineering).  When I create a new bookmark I usually only make a half-assed effort to categorize it fully; whenever I notice that a category, including the top level, has too many entries I go in and start sorting stuff.

To synchronize between machines, I use the Windows Briefcase plus a registry hack.  Really.  I even posted a description at http://www.platypus.ro/content/entry.php?2001/August/30a of the process.  It works very well for Windows and IE, but I haven't come up with anything similar that's cross-platform.  I've seriously thought about creating my own free alternative to BookmarkSync, but so far it's been pretty low on my list of priorities.

Jeff Darcy
Wednesday, April 03, 2002

FWIW, back in 1996 or so, possibly earlier, I felt this same need - several browsers (remember ncsa mosaic?), several machines, lots and lots of research going into finding obscure but highly valuable links, etc. I briefly tried using the netscape page of bookmarks approach, then porting that all over hell and back, but it was too much of a pain for me.

So, I had the idea of developing and putting up a bookmark server on the web.

My brother's been a pro developer / architect since '69. So, I went to him and between me doing requirements and testing the thing and him architechting and developing it, we put up a website to store our bookmarks.

It was password protected, did regular validation scans, sending me an email report of links that had just changed so that I could go update them right away, hierarchical folder structure, ability to include a given url in more than one category, ability to include documentation with each occurrance of each bookmark, stats on last visits, # visits, etc. bunch of stuff.

For a while, we enjoyed some popularity with this thing. Actually, up through '98 we'd ended up with about 9000 users, many of whom were webTV users. Turns out webTV, at least at the time, had no local storage, so it was just the ticket for those folks who used webTV to store their bookmarks someplace safe.

I used the hell out of it. But, since my bro' owned the boxes, the code and the internet connection, when he got too involved in other things to keep up with it, we ended up taking it down. That was sometime in late 98 or early 99.

It even got a mention in PC World at the time (a little mention, but it was a brief instant in a small spotlight!).

I miss it a lot and if it were back up again, would still be using it. Maybe I'll call him and see if he still has the code on tape somewhere then put it back up myself. hmm...

F.J. Weiland
Friday, April 05, 2002

Hey, anyone know what's up with this site? I just tried to post my bookmark server msg about 3 or 4 times without success, then I ended up pasting the posting from my history into a whole new form. When I did, it added all these darned newlines and spaced the posting way out. Running opera5 (as opera) linux 7.1.

Never used CityDesk CMS, but I sure hope it doesn't behave the same way as the discussion app does here.

F.J. Weiland
Friday, April 05, 2002

> Hey, anyone know what's up with this site?

Nothing unusual for this site: it 'randomly' eats posts, so people repost as you did; I don't know where the extra whitespace ("<br>") in your repost came from.

Christopher Wells
Friday, April 05, 2002

Try http://bookmarks.yahoo.com.

Ram
Monday, April 08, 2002

I use PowerMarks. It lets you keep the same heirarchy in either IE or Netscape or even Opera, and imports your bookmarks. You can tag them with keywords (I add keywords to the title as I bookmark a page) and search for them. It's super fast and allows you to search on partial words. I HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone with lots of bookmarks.

Mark W
Tuesday, April 09, 2002

For me the big issue was maintaining two sets of bookmarks (work and home) without having to manually sync them up. My solution was to create a core bookmark set, and then 2 folders for new bookmarks. At work new bookmarks get filed to the "new work bookmarks" folder and at home these got filed in "new home bookmarks." Every now and then I would merge the 2 "new" branches into the core set, and start off with blank "new" bookmark folders.

This allowed the flexibility of keeping bookmarks saved for 2 distinctly different purposes in one system and also the ability to only have one bookmarks.html file to move around. I also keep the latest file backed-up on a remote server so I always have access while away from home.

Just recently however the 3800+ saved bookmarks was becoming a bit unwieldy so I created an Access script to sort them into 2 groups: those used regularly and those that haven't been used for several years. Netscape has a great timestamping feature built into bookmarks.html so once you decode the datestamp you can see when it was first added and last visited.

However this implies that you use Netscape as your primary browser.

Nigel Rowe
Friday, April 12, 2002

I have developed a sophisticated bookmark management tool. I use it all the time. more info here:
http://marketing.wurldbook.com/info/

Olav
Wednesday, April 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home