Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Link to Joel removed from scripting.com

Anyone notice that the link to Joel's site has been removed from Dave's links on Scripting News?  And I thought Dave embraced competetion?!?!?

Jake
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

If you knew Dave, you wouldn't be surprised at this move.

John S.
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

Well, from what I do know of Dave W., he's big into linking and big into _reciprocal_ linking.  I think he thinks Joel doesn't play fair (or just isn't joining into the game) on his site by not having many links at all to outside sites.  Joel just isn't a full participant in the web culture as Dave thinks that culture should be.

Dave can be a bit extreme at times, but I don't see how can you fault him for removing a link to this site.  I'm sure he'd gladly put it back up if Joel would reciprocate.  Keeping up links to Joe's site when Joel is unwilling to reciprocate would (in Dave's eyes) merely be enabling a "free rider", something that he sees no reason to do. 

Herbert Sitz
Thursday, March 28, 2002

It may just be that Joel is no longer hosting his site there.

When Joel moved over to hosing himself, I think Dave kept a mirror at his page.  It may just be that that intermittant mirror is no longer be supported.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, March 28, 2002

Dave links to Joel because Joel writes interesting articles. Joel creates his own content; he is a primary source. Why would Joel link to Dave's weblog? Dave's weblog is mostly content from secondary sources plus Dave's rants.

btw, Dave linked to Joel again today.  :)

Banana Fred
Thursday, March 28, 2002

Yawn.

pb
Thursday, March 28, 2002

Of all the inconsequential things:

- mentioning a link (or lack thereof) between one site and another on the Internet.

- this post talking about said inconsequential link.

Joel needs to write more so we can comment more :)

Anon E. Moose
Thursday, March 28, 2002

I disagree, Being part of the "Blog Community", I think it's important to support each other's sights. If I had a weblog I would link to both Joel and Dave.

Franklin
Thursday, March 28, 2002

AOL and Dave Winer - http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/24652.html

Christopher Wells
Monday, April 01, 2002

Re: "AOL and Dave Winer"

I knew it had to be an April Fool's joke when I read "...from his Burlingame hot tub, surrounded by two young female advisors sporting "I GET IT!" T-shirts, Dave Winer..."

Dave surrounded by women?!?!?  Bahahahahaha!

pb
Monday, April 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home