Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Discussion Board Implementation

Hi

I'm always curious about how people implement similar projects. It seems you guys choosed to put everything in one single file, 'Default.asp'. I tried that once, but it became big enough to convince me to split in more files.

Do you think it's easier to maintain everything in one place?

Just curious... ;-)

Wanderley Miyata
Thursday, October 25, 2001

for ASP pages, I think it's a good idea to have a single URL with one big main function. If the file gets too big, break it up using Includes. The benefit of this is that it is much easier to redirect at the last minute, or assemble pieces of HTML from different places, or reuse functionality, etc. I didn't do it that way in FogBUGZ and regretted it... we're starting to merge some of the many .asp files now.

Unfortunately I don't think VBScript really stands up that well to very large projects... something I hope that .aspx (ASP.Net) will remedy.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, October 26, 2001

One problem i've noticed with this approach though is that depending on what the 'expires' header and similar web server settings are configured to, it can make it tough to use the back button. For instance, a billing site I have to use many times a day has everything in one script, so the url is always the same, and I can't use the back button inside it because it always asks for the most recent version of the page or something.. while I write this I realize that I can't even remember the exact problem (it was about a year ago when I started using this and looked into it), but suffice it to say, it's a pain. of course, with a lot of pages being loaded with query strings on this board, I guess it's not really the exaxt same problem?

matt
Saturday, October 27, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home