Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

AOL Time Warner chokes eating their own dog food

I'm surprised no one, especially Joel, has commented on this yet: http://www.msnbc.com/news/727898.asp?cp1=1

AOL Time Warner reverses its decision to use the AOL-based email system exclusively in all parts of the company, because of significant problems including a 2% delivery failure rate.

Any thoughts on this large usability test? Will it affect AOL's consumer products at all?

David Fischer
Friday, March 22, 2002

AOL is not meant for the entreprise. In every TV ad, they never mention anything about "Entreprise features". AOL is all about the individual consumer. It's for personal use only. To use it in a huge company like AOL/TW is just dumb.

Roger
Friday, March 22, 2002

Also interesting to note is what the news source MS - NBC.  Although, I do agree AOL email is definitely a regular home user program and not meant for corporate use.  I wonder if the Time Warner users had to click pop up ads out of the way before they could email a co-worker.

Seeing this story on MSNBC is almost as bad as a Hotmail still uses FreeBSD story on Yahoo News. 

Ryan Ware
Friday, March 22, 2002

Lots of schadenfreude here, but it shows the perils of dictating policy on a large scale without scaling up from small tests.  Silly corporate dsyfunction.

Jeff Winkler
Sunday, March 24, 2002

The story left me wondering whether AOL considers a 2% lost message rate acceptable for consumers, but not for corporate use.

Also, I don't think scale-up was their problem. If their system can handle tens of millions of consumers, I suspect that it can easily handle tens of thousands of corporate users.

All of which leaves me with the impression that the problems were reliability and usability.

Jim Lyon
Sunday, March 24, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home