Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Open source vb projects?

Does anyone know of any open source vb projects out there? We are moving from C++ applications to vb applications at work and seeing some good code would really help me learn vb.  I am seeking some professional ( or as close as one can get ) projects not some weak example code snippets.

Thanks.

Bill Harkless
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Meaning no disrespect, but you got my curiosity going - if you all are already set and going on C++ (an assuption on my part), why on earth would you be moving to VB?

F.J. Weiland
Thursday, March 21, 2002

I wish I knew... management.

I should have put my name as Dilbert.

Bill Harkless
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Moving from C++ to VB:

For the same reason people move from C++ to Java, or from C to Perl, or, for that matter, from assembly language to C.  One can typically develop working applications with fewer bugs in a much shorter timeframe using a higher level language.  If you don't absolutely need the performance advantages of the lower-level approach (and very few applications need it in more than 5-10% of the code, if that), then it's a net win all the way round.

James Montebello
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Check out C#.  You'll get the rapid dev cycles like VB and you'll leverage your C++ skills.

Richard Caetano
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Maybe your manager has been reading Joel, since making C++ programmers use VB is one of his doctrines.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Theres a list of links at

http://www.vb-bookmark.com/vbSourceCode.html

There was a vb open source project, but they seem to have disappeared.

Also take a look through the lists at

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone1/index.htm

Ged Byrne
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Personally, I dont care what they hell I code in.  It is just a pain to take the time and learn something new again. 

One spends so much time getting good at one skill set, and then...

Bill Harkless
Thursday, March 21, 2002

I guess this would be a pretty good place to start - http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=186

686 open source VB projects

Ben
Thursday, March 21, 2002

There are a lot of useful small things at KArl Petersen's site:

http://www.mvps.org/vb/

along with some interesting papers.

Andrew Simmons
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Maybe it's time to look for a new job? 

It's just my opinion, but I think a manager choosing which language established programmers are going to use is a bad descision.

-- Or maybe tell your manager to look for a new job! :) --

What type of applications are you going to be building?

Like someone else suggested, maybe you could persaude the manager to choose C#, Java or Managed C++ over Visual Basic.

Not that there is anything wrong with Visual Basic though!

Guy Incognito
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Hmm... Good Programmers do programming. The most valuable skill set is the programming itself; not "VB programming," not "C++ programming," no "Java programming." Just plain programming, a set of many skills including abstraction, problem solving, algorythms, and, most important skill of all, smartness.

So, if they are good C++ programmers, to me it's a good decision move to Visual Basic (the productivity will boost like a rocket.) Not a decision that I will make myself, mind you, but a good decision nonetheless.

Personally, I prefer to use a language that can be considered high level but still has many low level features (of course, I mean Delphi)

Leonardo Herrera
Thursday, March 21, 2002

I certainly did not intend for this to be a language debate.  Our company simply needs to develop an app for a customer quickly, which honestly vb would be perfectly for.

I compare programming much like the game Go, "It takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master."  Now, I know that programming certainly takes more than a minute to learn, but it is the nuances and picadillos that only experience can teach.

My question was intended to find some resources that would help me learn and become a better vb programmer.  For C/C++ projects there are PLENTY of open source projects that one can learn from; but for vb... less so.  Which I think is interesting because I have read that there is more Vb code out there than any other language.

Thanks all that sent links and suggestions. 

Bill Harkless
Friday, March 22, 2002

I'd second the suggestion of using MVPs' code as a starting point. E.g. googling for "MVP VB" turns up http://vyaskn.tripod.com/vbres.htm

Christopher Wells
Friday, March 22, 2002

Don't trust all the MVPs, they even let me be one for heavens sake!

robert moir
Friday, March 22, 2002

> Don't trust all the MVPs, they even let me be one for heavens sake!

<disclaimer>They let me be one too, with Felix and Will in the WINAPI forum back in Compuserve days</disclaimer>

Rob, was yours a seriously-intended caveat? I seconded the suggestion, a) because I have no VB experience and cannot recommend anything personally, and b) because IMO MVPs are /likely/ to fit into the 'guru' category, where "an expert is someone who writes code that a computer can understand; a guru is someone who writes code that people can understand".

The only caveat I can think of, and it's a small one, is that MVPs might know (and use) things that a beginner "shouldn't".

Christopher Wells
Friday, March 22, 2002

"Rob, was yours a seriously-intended caveat?"

Yes, albeit in a lighthearted way. I've been an MVP for years on Windows servers, NT Server, 2000 server, .net server, and by extension, xp pro, win 2000 pro, nt worksation. I also "cover" proxy servers, web servers, email technology.

I'm not a coder though, but like most really good network admins/designers I can knock out a bit of code to do a job. Any code you found on my website would probably do the job I claimed it did, but I'd shudder to think that anyone used it as an example of how to code.

Felix, of course, is a bona fide code guru...

robert moir
Friday, March 22, 2002

Doh! Hate to follow on from myself, but wanted to add about code gurus, imho Karl, whose site was referenced earlier, also qualifies.

robert moir
Friday, March 22, 2002

http://www.vsoftdev.com

has free and commercial source code in vb.  The product line is built one upon the other to form complete application solutions.  Everything is free to very affordable, and full source code is available in all cases.  Very interesting.  Frequent Updates.

Anonymous
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home