Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Visual Basic Code Issue

I’ve been trying to figure this problem out for over 2 weeks now! Can you please send me what you believe the Visual Basic code should look like for this problem?

*Assume you have a bank account that compounds interest on a yearly basis? In other words if you deposit $100 for two years at 4% interest, at the end of the year you will have $104. At the end of two years you will have $104 plus 4% of that, or $108.16. Create the Visual Basic program that would read in deposit amount, a term in years, and an interest rate. The program should display the running balance on the form, or a separate form. The program should also:
·    Check for invalid data being entered.
·    Display a message to the user indicating the mistake, and
·    Give them the chance to re-enter the correct information

The form must contain a minimum of three (3) command buttons:
·    Calculate. Takes all the value entered by the user, and displays the answer.
·    Clear / Start Over: Must clear the values entered by the user, and clear the displayed answer(s). It must also reset the focus on the main form ready for the user to begin entering data.
·    Exit

Anyone thats willing to send me the code for this PLEASE DO... I've just recently started on VB coding and this problem has me stumped! HELP is needed.
Thank you-

chad Steinacker
Friday, March 15, 2002

Is this somebody's homework?

James Wann
Friday, March 15, 2002

"a minimum of three (3) command buttons"...

Will extra points be awarded for additional buttons?

B
Friday, March 15, 2002

Mr. Steinacker also has e-mailed this question to at least some of us posting here. I wonder if I should quote consulting rates for doing homework?

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, March 15, 2002

Hmmn, I replied to this, but it doesnt seem to have come up.

James Ladd
Friday, March 15, 2002

I tried again to post a reply, but only these short ones seem to come up. Oh well. Ill be helping Chad, its the community thing to do !

James Ladd
Friday, March 15, 2002

Do your  own homwork

Anon
Friday, March 15, 2002

Um, this is a site about software management.  If any of us knew how to code, do you think we'd be managers?

Frankly, if a young programmer came up to me with this problem, I'd tell him that using the Chomsky Normal Form almost makes the program write itself.  Then I'd stare at him, daring him to say he didn't understand me.

p.h.b.
Saturday, March 16, 2002

I'm sorry, but if you can't figure this out alone, you'd better start working in a grocery store...

Frederik Slijkerman
Saturday, March 16, 2002

Maybe he's practicing at being a software manager and at persuading other people to write code for him. Not a bad ambition... If it's schoolwork, sending code would not be a community thing to do IMO; instead (which would take longer), walk him through whatever difficulties he is having at doing it himself ("what trouble are you having with writing the code yourself, where are you stuck?").

Christopher Wells
Saturday, March 16, 2002

Perhaps it's been too long since I started out, but this problem seems exceedingly simple.... almost a "Hello World" for basic UI design.  The point, I'm sure, is simply to see if the programmer can wire together a basic GUI app.

Definitely a homework assignment.  No doubt at all.

Timothy Falconer
Saturday, March 16, 2002

Maybe we could use this forum to sell stuff too.

I can just see the topic...

"For Sale - Nissan 180B, good tyres $900".

Tony
Sunday, March 17, 2002

Wow, a 180B with good tyres. SOLD !!

James Ladd
Sunday, March 17, 2002

If this problem has foxed him for 2 weeks, he really should consider an alternative career.

What chance does he have with pointers?

Ged Byrne
Monday, March 18, 2002

Somebody post a code snippet, but ROT13 it.

That should keep him quiet for another two weeks.

DB
Monday, March 18, 2002

Excuse my ignorance, but what's ROT13 ?

Jutta Jordans
Monday, March 18, 2002

uggc://jjj.ryvgrpnpghf.bet/jbex/ebg13.ugzy

DB
Monday, March 18, 2002

*argl*

How convinient, an encoder/decoder :-) such a shame I did not have it to decode the url

This makes me think of my long gone youth *lol* when I wrote an encoder/decoder programm simular to that one on my C64. It must have been one of my first programms ever, it was really nice, you could specify a code (up to 6 digits or so) that was used for encryption. A friend and I used it to encrypt/decrypt letters to each other (very secretive, Calvin & Hobbes like).

Have fun,

Jutta Jordans
Monday, March 18, 2002

http://www.elitecactus.org/work/rot13.html

Ged Byrne
Monday, March 18, 2002

Qb lbh fhccbfr guvf vf oernxvat gur ynj?  Cyrnfr qba'g qrfpenzoyr guvf vs lbh'er va Vena, Vend, Yvoln, Fbznyvn, Nstunavfgna, Phon, be Abegu Xbern.

Timothy Falconer
Monday, March 18, 2002

What's the difference between golf and skydiving?

Tbysref tb, "Junpx .. Fuvg."

Fxlqviref tb, "Fuvg .. Junpx."

Timothy Falconer
Monday, March 18, 2002

Aww, why did you guys have to mention the ROTI thing, I'm meant to be working and now I just have to find out about it.

Bloody internet...

Tony
Monday, March 18, 2002

ROT13 I mean...see more wasted time...

Tony
Monday, March 18, 2002

I'm doing a flow chart on this same problem can you help me?

mark chandler
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

V2VsbCBkb25lLCBub3cgdGhhdCB3YXNuJ3Qgc28gaGFyZCB3YXMgaXQ/ICBOb3cgZ28gdG8gL2xldmVsMi9ibGFuay5waHAgdG8gY29udGludWUuICA6KSAgZ29vZCBsdWNrIERhcmtH==

what code is this?
Wednesday, March 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home