Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

.NET, Visual Studio.NET, VB.NET, C#

It's been about a month now since version 1.0 of Visual Studio.NET was "officially" released.  So I was wondering if anyone started using .NET either full time or part time?  If so what language are you coding in and what are your thoughts on the overall environment and framework?

Matt
Thursday, March 14, 2002

Matt,

Might be worthwhile for you to check out:

http://discuss.develop.com/

Seeya

Matthew John Wills
Thursday, March 14, 2002

I'm using .NET roughly 70% of the time now. Of course, most of what I do is writing, which is only vaguely related to the actual market for software. But I do have utility & web work that I've ported over. Working in VB .NET mostly, with a bit of C#, and a mix of Windows Forms and ASP.NET applications.

Personally, I like the .NET Framework and the tools for working with it. For me, one of the key indicators of that is that VB6 now feels clunky and wrong when I need to work in it.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, March 14, 2002

Mike Gunderloy wrote:
"VB6 now feels clunky and wrong when I need to work in it."

We, the Delphi developers, have been telling you that for years ;)

Jan Derk
Thursday, March 14, 2002

I've used ASP.NET and C# in a couple of projects where I have control over the server and love it. I'm just using Homesite as my IDE with a color coding scheme, and it does the job. My ASP.NET code is much much cleaner than my ASP code.

B
Thursday, March 14, 2002

I'm using C# at home and converting an existing Delphi project to it. It's... interesting. Kinda clunky still in comparison to Delphi, but has a few niceties Delphi does not, and performance is better than I expected.

What I'm really pissed at is that it forces IE6 on you. As IE6 caused random reboots on my PC, I uninstalled the lot, created a new Win2K VMware virtual machine and am using that for .NET development now. Unfortunately the uninstall of .NET on the 'real' machine hosed my Delphi 6 install, and after uninstalling D6, now *nothing* that uses the Windows Installer will install. God I hate MSI. For the first time ever it looks like a reinstall of Win2K is going to be required as I've exhausted every possible avenue of fixing this one.

DB
Friday, March 15, 2002

DB,

You say performance is good. 

How does it compare to Delphi?

Ged Byrne
Friday, March 15, 2002

Ged> For what?

I don't know Delphi, but I primarily work in VB.NET now (and used to primarily work in VB6 and VBScript). There are definitely areas where VB.NET is much faster, and areas where it's slower. Windows.Forms definitely have more overhead than VB6 Forms, but I don't think this is a big deal very often; most GUI activity involves waiting for the user, not the system. On the other hand, a lot of back-end stuff is significantly faster.

Dave Rothgery
Friday, March 15, 2002

Haven't taken any measurements as such Ged, and now it's residing in its own VM I cannot do so.

My overall impression was that the WinForms stuff was not noticeably different in speed to similar stuff created in Delphi. And the IDE was of similar performance to D6 - I'd expected it to be slower.

DB
Monday, March 18, 2002

I've been using VB6 for the last couple of years.
Would anybody care to comment upon what they found useful in terms of reference material for moving to .NET?

Cheers.

Tony
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

The information in the online help is actually pretty good. I find myself using search a lot, though, because the organization is a mess; in particular, many topics are spread willy-nilly across the Framework help and the Visual Studio .NET help. Install the docs to your hard drive if you've got room; it really speeds things up.

As far as things you can buy -- remember, almost everything out there was written by authors who were using Beta 2, and as a result there are disconnects between the books and the shipping product. Also, of course, every author in the universe has rushed out a book or a part of a book on .NET, and many of them are little mroe than rehashes of the help (says the man who added half a dozen .NET chapters to his own most recent book).

Still, there are some good ones out there. For the specific task of moving from VB6 to VB.NET, take a look at Brian Bischof's THE .NET LANGUAGES: A QUICK TRANSLATION GUIDE (Apress).

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home