Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Old projects resurface

Recently, a few customers called me because they wanted to add some features to the apps I developped. What I don't like about this situation is that it kinda gets frustrating having to switch from one programming language to another. Let me give you a more easy to understand example: Let's say that I'm creating an app in C# , then a customer calls me and they want me to work on an ADA application I wrote like 2 years ago. What bothers me, is that I don't feel like working on many programming languages at the same time. I can only be addicted to one at a time, because it's time consuming.

Do any of you feel the same way? Maybe developing is not for me after all or maybe I have to deal with that addiction problem. I don't know.

Roger
Wednesday, March 06, 2002

I tend to be a language addict - I never saw a programming language I didn't want to learn.* I'm also a strong believer in using the appropriate language for a project.

I don't have a problem switching languages too much, as long as it isn't 5 languages in a day... (I've done 3 projects, each in a different language, at the same time).

*Well, I leafed through a book on RPG programming and decided it wasn't worth my time.

Jeff Pleimling

Why can't you just quote a high figure for the work, to make up for the pain it's going to cause you?

Darren Collins

I love developing and producing solutions. I dont personally care what the language is, more what the solution is about. I try to use the language that is most suitable for the task at hand. If I had my way, the world would use smalltalk, but world peace is probably going to happen first.

I dont mind switching languages during the day.

James Ladd

I think context switching from one project to the next always takes some time... add in a language that I haven't touched in awhile and I need the book to remember if its
elseif
or
else if
and I can get grumpy.  Then again, thats why we get paid the big bucks ;-)

Michael H. Pryor

I think that initially when I came up against this I saw it as a problem, but any more I'm usually thankful for the chance to brush off what would otherwise be lost to posterity in the cobwebs of my mind.

Unless of course it has anything even remotely to do with Netscape 4, in which case I run. Some things you just don't want to be an expert in or the pain will never end.

Alex Russell

Tell me about it. I work on an Intranet and the company standardized on Netscape 4.06 back in 1996 (IE was in version 2.x at the time) and is only *slowly* coming around to IE5.5 & netscape 4.7x. Thankfully new computers are coming out with IE as the default browser, but it'll be a long slow painful crossover.

Mark W
Thursday, March 07, 2002

Jeff, RPG is the bomb. You are really missing out...I am afraid. 

who cares
Thursday, March 07, 2002

Admittedly, the nice thing about having an old project is you can use a lot of cut & paste while you remember the little details of each language.

Red paint
Thursday, March 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home