Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

engineering

I am a first year engineering student in the university of Cape Town.I am given an assignment to find a practicing engineer who is interested in talking to me.

I am interested in finding out what it is like in an engineering company.

would be delighted get a reply as soon as possile

Sebolelo Phohleli
Wednesday, February 27, 2002

My friend went to college for Engineering (Cooper) and was never able to satisfactorily answer this question for me.

What is an engineer?

Mark W
Thursday, February 28, 2002

One who operates an engine.

rich
Thursday, February 28, 2002

what do you want to know

An Employee
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

structural and mechanical engineers do calculations which enable them to determine what size a component or member must be in order for machines, buildings, bridges, etc to be safe for you and your family

they do not get paid enough for the responsibility they take and are taken for granted in the community

the basic law of supply and demand works against engineers - there are too many engineers or people who purport to be engineers and hence their pay is low and conditions unsatisfactory

many engineers finish their study and find to their horror they must work in isolated locations and leave their loved ones behind - many engineers do not have normal lives because they have to be away from home and their partner will not put up with that so the relationship fail

employers try to convince more students to be engineers so the employers can have a wider selection of brilliant candidates for a job - don't fall for this

conclusion - forget engineering and study something which will allow you to have a life

An Engineer
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home