Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

.Net/SQL Server -> PHP/MySQL ?

Frustrated with the bugs and nonresponsiveness at Blogger, I'm looking at Moveable Type http://www.movabletype.org

However, it's PHP/MySQL and I'm a MS guy (C#/SQL Server). How tough will it be to figure out? Anyone made the same transition?

Philo

Philo
Friday, March 28, 2003

Hi Philo,

If you have ever worked with C, you will find yourself at home with PHP. Its 90% _identical_.

And MySQL. Hm... It lacks LOTS OF FEATURES which are there in commerical RDBMS but the way you write basic SQL queries is ALMOST same.

Though, If you happen to face a problem with these two, I will suggest seeking help at http://forums.devshed.com. It is one of the best and very active open source community I have ever come across.

All the best!
Regards,
JD

JD
Friday, March 28, 2003

MovableType is Perl, not PHP. And AFAIK you can use it without any sort of database whatsoever. Since it's built to be usable by people who don't know much programming at all, I doubt you'd have much trouble with it.

Chris Winters
Friday, March 28, 2003

PHP and mySQL isn't too bad and is pretty easy to learn, but it isn't as nice to code in as .NET and SQL Server.  The thing I hate the most about PHP is that the support for classes is almost nil and has something that they try to pass off as classes.  With mySQL there's a lack of triggers, subselects, and until recently transaction support.

But if you're just moving a blogger homepage over then PHP and mySQL should be just fine since you're not going to be using PHP/mySQL for anything complicated.

HeyMacarana
Friday, March 28, 2003

Movabletype isn't written in PHP, it's written in Perl.

I'm not sure how much you'll have to dig into the source code, it installs and works out of the box. You can always write plugins if there's a feature MT doesn't support.

Gavin
Friday, March 28, 2003

I'm a Blogger man myself, but I fielded a few Perl questions a while back when a friend converted.  Chris is sor of right.  You can use MT with out MySQL, but it uses the Berkley Database systems instead.  I want to say you need DBI installed on the computer, but that's standard with the newer Perl installations (5.6 and 5.8), I believe.

Andrew Burton
Friday, March 28, 2003

The Movable Type framework is written in Perl, but I think most of the scripting people do with Movable Type is actually done using PHP.  At least, most of the questions and examples you'll see in the "Tips and Tricks" forum on their support board discuss solutions using PHP and not Perl, though I'm sure you could use Perl if you wanted.

Basically, most of the scripting involves writing a template page that uses PHP in combination with Movable Type "tags" to access the data.  The "tags" are expanded using Perl, but you don't need to concern yourself with then when you're scripting.  At least that's my understanding.

Herbert Sitz
Friday, March 28, 2003

Dotnet crumbles like a bitch

Friday, March 28, 2003

"The thing I hate the most about PHP is that the support for classes is almost nil and has something that they try to pass off as classes".

You sure you're talking about PHP here?  I always thought it was perl, not PHP, that had the brain-damaged OO support (what's this about "blessing" references?  and the magic @ISA array?  and why do I say 'package' when I mean 'class'?)  PHP's OO syntax and support is pretty ordinary, as far as I can tell.

Alyosha`
Saturday, March 29, 2003

> I always thought it was perl, not PHP, that had the brain-
> damaged OO support (what's this about "blessing"
> references?  and the magic @ISA array?  and why do I
> say 'package' when I mean 'class'?) 

You've confused Perl's so called "brain damaged" OO implimentation with you not understanding it.

A common trait with "wanna-be" Perl programmers.

Matthew Lock
Saturday, March 29, 2003

I'll take 'Unsubstantiated Ad Homs" for $1000, Alex ...

This content-free comment of Matthew's aside, does anyone know what HeyMacarena means by PHP having "the support for classes is almost nil and has something that they try to pass off as classes"?

Alyosha`
Sunday, March 30, 2003

Better still, is there any web log software written in .NET?  I'm holding off on blogging until I can find one.  The only one I've seen is at:

http://www.dotnetweblog.com/

I believe Scott has threatened to release the code to it at some point in the future.

sc
Sunday, March 30, 2003

I haven't seen one released into the wild yet. A few people use home brew (I did for a while, but gave it up when I moved to Movable Type).

Brad (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, March 30, 2003

http://www.simplegeek.com/permalink.aspx/4a202482-239b-40a6-aa38-ae8bc348a4a4

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home