Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Inappropriate Terminology?

Is anyone else annoyed by the increasingly prevalent use —usually by marketing types—of phrases such as "software stack" or "technology stack" when describing groups of related technologies?

As far as I'm concerned a software stack is a LIFO data structure!

John Topley
Friday, March 28, 2003

I say let them use it or they'll start making up words. Marketing is all about doublespeak.

trollbooth
Friday, March 28, 2003

It's OK when engineers bend language because it often times draws useful comparisons.

Like a TCP/IP stack, which isn't a LIFO data structure, but it kinda makes sense in the OSI 7 layer world.

And the good engineers generally make it distinguishable -- protocol stack vs. stack.

It's not OK when marketing or other folks blindly combine terminology they really don't understand.  I'd much rather that they make up words or terms just for them.  Things like Problem Space, Pacakge, Technology Set, etc. 

I'd much rather people make up words for things than try to overload our language any more.

flamebait sr.
Friday, March 28, 2003

How about people using the term "matrix" when they really mean "spreadsheet?"

S. Gwizdak
Friday, March 28, 2003

To me, "software stack" brings up an image of a tottering pile of CD-ROMs. Worst part is, our software manager used the term for one of the categories in our Bugzilla. I still have no idea what he thinks it means...

Martha
Friday, March 28, 2003

My marketing people are always babbling about their "verticals".

But "software stack" makes some kind of sense.

One has an application on top of an application server on top of a database server on top of an OS. "Stack" sounds like a good description of that collection of software, knock a piece out and every thing above comes crashing down.

Anonymous Coward
Friday, March 28, 2003

You can expect anything with the word "technology" in it to be completely bastardized.

Used to be that technology, in engineering context, meant something with fundamental physics or math behind it.  Wireless technology, information theory, QAM technology, encryption technology, ...

But today, technology just means yet another API or method for doing the same old thing some new stupid way.

Get used to it, its part of being a technology whore.

Just leave your money on the night stand.  Thanks,

Nat Ersoz
Saturday, March 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home