Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Great forum - another one that is similar..

I've found this forum only some weeks ago and it's great  - I mean if you are a programmer.
The discussions are usually on a decent level and the topics are interesting.
Do you know another site or forum that is comparable?
Although I visit slashdot every day, I usually don't read there a lot: one reason is the trolling and another the unpleasant navigation between discussion trees.
Maybe it's necessary because of the amount of discussions.

Panna
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Panna,

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/BuildingCommunitieswithSo.html

describes the thoughts behid this forum, why it looks like it does, what happens to the discussion if you implement your forum a certain way...

Intresting read if you have not already read it.

Patrik
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Slashdot seems to be the way it is because it's such a high volume operation. It's hard to have an intelligent and meaningful discussion in a virtual stadium full of people. Personally, I never figured out what was so compelling about it to so many people.

Remember, there is the 'Slashdot' effect. An interesting web site link that gets posted in a new article will basically result in most sub fortune 500 company web sites being cratered due to the traffic that Slashdot sends their way.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

"Personally, I never figured out what was so compelling about it to so many people."

Does mob mentality explain why? Perhaps it gives the technologists who post there a feeling of that what they do for a living or as a hobby is important? Honestly, I don't know the reason why so many people hang out there since I have only visited that forum a couple of times and never felt compelled to post there.

One Programmer's Opinion
Wednesday, March 26, 2003

My only guess as to why /. is so huge is because the open source community runs off of personality cults and has  selectively elevated certain public open source personalities. Cmdr Taco and the others that run /. seem to be an object of fandom, and so it makes the regulars feel important to be a part of the scene there. This ties into geek obsessive-compulsive tendencies - /. ' ers feel a sense of ownership.

Another theory is that the demographic slant there is for open source and anti-Microsoft, and Microsoft bashing in general, and /. has become a sort of trademark for the non-Microsoft movement.

And yet another theory is that it's so big simply because it came "first", it was the first big, popular technology discussion site catering to programmers. There's no reason why other web sites couldn't capture significant niche audiences from it, but Slashdot "has it all".

Those are my guesses, anyway.

Personally - I've posted some there and I have pretty good "karma", but it's not really satisfying because of the volume.

Bored Bystander
Thursday, March 27, 2003

I know of no other site that posts as many interesting links to current news about science, math, programming and geek related topics.
If you read at a high enough rating, a lot of the posts have good points.
It is not as focussed as Joel On Software and, for software specifically, it is not as good, but it is always worth a look.

Barry Sperling
Monday, March 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home