Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Parallelogram Offices ? Ever tried Feng Shui ?

Sharp angles in rooms are known for accumulating negative energy, something you do not want for sure !

Phil
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

How about hexagon offices? Hexagons are a better approximation to the circle than offices with 4 edges will ever be, and they can be put next to each other in an efficient way (just ask the bees!)
The reason why you would want to approximate to circles is that you get the biggest area/circumference ratio from circles.

In models for covering geographical areas with cell phone frequencies, hexagons are also used.

Parallelograms wil just give Joels offices sharp angle corners the vacuum cleaner never will be able to reach, so his cleaning budget will go up in the effort, and his employees will sue him for the bad working conditions due to dusty corners, and FogBUGZ and CityDesk will end up costing $60.000 for one license, and then Joel will go out of business, and Joel On Software will disappear, and I will get grumpy.

Bottom line: Don't do parallelogram offices Joel!

Martin
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

You work in an office that gets vaccuumed!?

Matthew Lock
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

check today's dilbert (03/25/2003)

na
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Penn and Teller just did a show on Feng Shui. They called in three different Feng Shui "experts" to decorate the same room - they got three completely different results.

So much for the "science" of Feng Shui. ;-)

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Parallelogram offices. Groovy, but why?
I do not see any practical advantage in parallelogram offices, except some esthetics, maybe.
Maybe the whole building is a parallelogram?

Tim Heirman
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Tried it...didn't like it. Then I tried  "No Shui". Much better.  All the energy flows back into the grid and I get a discount on my utlity bill.

Bo Gus
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Parellogram offices does sound a bit like design for design's sake. Only thing I can think of, perhaps this was a way to make maximum use of the windows that are available?

Martha
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Indeed - I wonder if Joel has taken the floorplan, gotten some cutouts of a desk, chairs, and bookcases, and tried to get everything to fit.

I'm thinking "wasted space", especially near the corners.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Most buildings and rooms are rectangular for a good reason. I'm not saying new designs should not be considered, but often traditional "folk" designs work well because they have been fine-turned over a long time. I guess if the traditional design is stuck in a local maximum, then you could only reach the global maximum by "thinking outside the box".

runtime
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

You're likely going to sit near an obtuse angle, which gives a nice "walls facing you" effect.  I'd sit near the obtuse angle nearest the winow, between the two.  The room probably isn't as angled as it looks.  And vaccuums are often thin or have hoses.  Anyway, things can be put in the acute corners to remove this problem.

The nice thing is that since so many walls are rectangular, it will take a while to get bored with it.  And give that weird feeling of "home base."

Tj
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

man oh man, the second guessing here is intense! I gave you a one word description of the office shape and everybody has an opinion...

The non-rectangular offices mean that the central open area has a "sawtooth" edge. If we need temporary space in the future, we can put desks in the nooks of the teeth, and those people will have some privacy (no one else in their line of site) ... the alternative design, with square offices, would mean the extra people would all be at desks side by side with no privacy.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

I can almost see it, but won't putting desks in block the doors?  Or do they open on the side facing away from the central open area?  Perhaps a thousand words would help.  ;>

Sam Gray
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

[pedantic hat]
Unless your office is oddly shaped, that's not a parallelogram, is it?

Equally-sized parallelograms lined up along a straight wall won't have 'sawtooth' edges on the inside - they'll be a straight line.

Now Joel, you should know better than to be geometrically inaccurate with a roomful of techies....

[tongue firmly in cheek]

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

All Rectangles are Parallelograms.    8-)

RH
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Columnist Dave Barry wrote an excellent essay in which he discusses feng shui (pronounced "wang chung"):

http://63.147.65.175/life/barry0528.htm

Alex Chernavsky
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

[Equally-sized parallelograms lined up along a straight wall won't have 'sawtooth' edges on the inside - they'll be a straight line.]

Only if the edges facing the wall are parallel to the wall. Not that I care that much, but either the offices aren't flush with the outside wall, or they aren't parallelograms.

Andy
Wednesday, March 26, 2003

"man oh man, the second guessing here is intense! I gave you a one word description of the office shape and everybody has an opinion..."

You must be new to JoS. The less facts we get the more we speculate (seach for Heisenberg on the left).
:-)

Just me (Sir to you)

On the "design for design's sake" side of things, I once worked in an office that had offices arranged in a circle around a central area. Each office was more-or-less shaped like a trapezoid, with the office door somewhere in the shorter of the two parallel walls.

None of the offices had *any* right angles between the walls. We were of course supposed to use standard modular furniture in these offices.

In my office, I had "dead" space in evey corner, and a progressively larger gap between my desk an the wall, such that I had to make sure nothing I would mind losing was kept on the right side of the desk.

So, make sure you keep in mind how to make use of the space...

-Mark

Mark Bessey

http://www.dilbert.com/

B#

Oops...  March 26, 2003

B#

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home