Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

masters GPA cutoffs?

Having failed to land a dev position last 6 months, i have applied to various cs masters programs, actually got my first reject letter today.This has me worried, as  think the bar has gone up, as many people are now going back to school because of the economy.Any people have ideas about cutoff GPAs? My undergrad is a cs degree with 3.55 gpa, is this generally enough to get into a decent masters program?How about other poeple's experiences?

anon
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Good Grad schools don't have GPA cut-offs or cut-offs of any kind. Where have you been.

bdw

It's all about who you know.  The good master's programs usually require good recommendations from people that they know.  That usually involves having done some research for a professor (with contacts) as an undergrad.

Highly recommend a book called "Getting What You Came For".

big bob

Read this thread:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=28818&ixReplies=19

Philo

Philo

What do people do for recommendations when they got undergraduate degree a long time ago? I've been pondering this lately since I'm planning to go back for a Masters but I got my BS 12 years ago.

I did a guest lecture at my old school several years ago, and at that time there were only 2 profs still there from back in the day.  I had taken only one class from each of them and so I never established a repoire with either.

Would it be worth it to take a few non-matriculated classes just to earn some recommendations?

Nick

Getting into a MS program depends on GPA . GRE scores, Subject GRE Scores, Refernce, if you have done any research, and most importantly size and talent of the applicant pool.

Prakash S

Nick, why don't you try tracing your old Profs?

Prakash S

Prakash, I know that GRE and prof recommendations count, but forgetting all that is 3.55 enough for a middle tier school as a range?

anon

yeah, sounds decent enough.

Prakash S
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Actually I am finding my gpa with advanced 3rd and 4th year cs courses are around 3.7, I really messed up some 2ooo courses which kind of screwed it up!

anon
Thursday, March 20, 2003

even better.

Prakash S
Thursday, March 20, 2003

With a 3.55, a good score on the GRE, and two letters of rec, I'd think you could get into a very good school.

One key is years of progressive work experience. If you got a 2.7 when you were a 20-year-old-punk, that has much less to do with who you are as a 30-year-old coder.

regards,

Matt H.
Thursday, March 20, 2003

What is 'middle-tier' to you?  Schools ranked 10-20 in USNews?  Who rejected you?  Did they tell you why?  If not, you might consider calling them up and asking how you could improve your chances for next year. 

Whether or not you wait til next year is another matter, but at least it might give you an idea where your app is weak. 

Your best bet would be to see what each individual department requires.  Some may weigh recommendations heavily.  Some may weigh GPA.  It all depends.

As for being out of school and not having any recs, the best bet would be to either take some classes (you can usually take a certain # of grad classes even if the school hasn't accepted you to that particular program) or apply to a program that values 'real-world' experience as much as academic experience

HTH

Thursday, March 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home