Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Looking for a CodeGuru replacement.

Hi, does anyone know of any online resources for windows GUI programming using good old fashioned C and win32 API calls ? Or is everyone doing it the MFC/Visual Basic way ?

Sorry if this is kind of a FAQ...

agnul
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Other than MSDN?

My personal favorite site for programming tips is

http://www.codeproject.com

But there's not a lot of "to-the-api" stuff on there. This stuff hasn't really changed in years. A recent copy of Petzold's probably the best you'll be able to find.

Chris Tavares

Yeah, I was going to chime in with MSDN, also.

I'm using MSDN Library - October 2001, right now (because we are still using Visual Studio 6.0).  If you go to the contents tab, you can select Platform SDK Documentation/Windows API, for example.

Or try to find one of those "cheap book" places -- where they are selling older books -- and grab a couple of Win32 books.

William C

Charles Petzold's Programming Windows, 5th Edition. Good book for pure C API stuff.

Deepak Shenoy

codeguru used to be about doing stuff that wasn't covered in Petzold.  'Secret' APIs and stuff that's possible but not documented.  Now it's just kind of a tutorial wasteland.

Unfortunately, no, I don't know of any other sites like it.

I use C++, but I find MSDN a valuable resource. What do you need to do that is not covered there? I have yet to find a problem that isn't somewhere solved either via MSDN or Google, though it's not beyond the realms of possibility that I have only encountered problems that are much simpler than yours.

tommyhl

Hummm, I forget to say: I too use Win32 API by preference, though it is not unknown for me to suffer MFC.

tommyhl

And a 3rd post, how about that!

What use do people have for undocumented APIs? Maybe it is just my upbringing, but I would run a mile from anything on the PC that isn't in MSDN somewhere. To do otherwise would in my view be asking for trouble. If you have a fixed platform that is another issue; for a PC running Windows, however, no such guarantees apply, and with good reason.

tommyhl

sometimes you must do that which has not been done before.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions..

I already have Petzold's book (maybe a little old, 3rd ed IIRC) but the problem is that on certain subjects it justs covers the basics.

Guess I'll have to dig deeper in the MSDN :-)

agnul
Thursday, March 20, 2003

>>What use do people have for undocumented APIs?

Because you want to do something in your applications that Microsoft does in theirs, and they use undocumented API calls to do it?

RocketJeff
Thursday, March 20, 2003

I actually have an example where I need to use an undocumented API.  I need to add a user programatically to the system whos name == computername. But the NetAddUser call refuses to except this. Reading MSDN I find that they enforce  computername$ for ActiveDirectory purposes.  The kicker is that I can use the GUI interface to create this user with out adding the $.  I need to use the 'native' or 'hidden' security API to create this user but I can find NO Reference on the Internet to the Win 2Ks  Native Security API (and I doubt MS will Cough it up)

A Software Build Guy
Thursday, March 20, 2003

I'm asleep still...NetUserAdd is what I meant

A Software Build Guy
Thursday, March 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home