Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How to get computer with Win95B on the LAN?

Not as easy as it sounds.  I'd like to get some old files off this computer and burned onto CD.

It has an ethernet card.  It's plugged into the LAN.  I have Client for Microsoft Windows Installed.  I logged in with a domain user_id/pswd.

When I try to go to "Network Neighborhood", it tells me that I can't browse the network.

I can't go to the really old browsers on this thing (IE is horrible-looking) and type in \\computer_name_on_lan

I can't go to another computer on the LAN and type in \\win_95b_computer_name

I went to the really old browsers and typed in our ftp url.  That doesn't work.

I can ping the servers on the lan and I went to winipcnfg and I do have an ip address.

The only thing I was able to do was go to the command prompt, type ftp, and I was able to connect to one of our servers.

Any ideas?

Win95B!
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Oh, the memories.

Enable NetBeui in Control Panel...Network...Protocols (if memory serves me correctly).  Remember there are no admin shares on 95B (C$, D$, etc.) so you'll have to setup a share manually.

At that point you should be able to get to it by doing a Start...Run...\\computer_name\share_name

It's been a really long time, but I'm thinking that will get you going.  Any corrections from others whose memory hasn't been spoiled by years of ale?

Jeff MacDonald

Put Redhat 8.0 in CD drawer.  Reboot.

Nat Ersoz

I seem to remember there are name incompatibilities between Win NT and Win 95.  (length of name, and possibly some character differences).  At my old company, we used to have some shared folders with long names that didn't appear in the Network Neighborhood.  Clicking Start/Run and entering the name manually usually worked.

\\servername\sharedfoldername

Will

If all else fails install Winzip, make a zip file of all the files you want to transfer and then span them across floppies.

Matthew Lock

Remember that Win95 doesn't install TCP/IP by default as well. So make sure TCP/IP is installed.

Brad (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

I got it to work.

I was fooling around with this for about an hour last night, to no avail.  But when I got into work about an hour ago, I logged into my win95 machine and something about the "File and Printer Sharing" button appealed to me.

Turning on "File Sharing" worked wonders.  I'm now able to see other computers on the LAN and they are able to see me.

So it's not really that hard to get a win95b computer on the lan, just needed to shake out the rust!! :)

Thanks for the help.  Even the Linux-zealot!! :) :)

Win95B!

Heh.  My preferred solution for this sort of thing is usually "remove the HD from the old machine and temporarily install it in a new machine with CD burner."  Glad you got it to work, though.

Sam Gray

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home