Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

CAMEL: What is Requisite Pro for, anyway?

Whoops, major stumble.
We had been using Requisite Pro to gather requirements - loading source documents into the repository with an eye towards creating a requirements document. But certain little "features" kept getting in our way. For example, in Requisite Pro a child requirement cannot come from a different document than the parent. There is no handling for duplicate requirements, etc, etc...

This morning two of us were, uh, "commenting" about these "features" and started wondering what the development effort behind Requisite Pro was thinking. We came to the conclusion that those restrictions made sense if Requisite Pro was implemented AFTER THE PROJECT ALREADY HAD A REQUIREMENTS DOCUMENT. We'd been looking at it wrong- Req Pro isn't a tool for *gathering* requirements, it's for *managing* them after they're in one place.

Luckily we realized this *very* early in the process - we've only been going down this path for a few days, and all the work so far has, in fact, been valuable insofar as identifying a structure to the requirements we've gathered.

But at this point we've regrouped and decided to take the requirements we've got and start drafting a requirements document. The aforementioned structure in Req Pro made creating an outline absolutely painless, and we've split up the outline into sections to begin analyzing the areas that need additional analysis.

So, a minor foray into the weeds, but resulted in some good fodder for moving forwards. Could have been much worse! [grin]

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Tell me Philo is "Requisite Pro" another software product (in an earlier post you mentioned they bought Crystal Reports without talking to anyone from your group) that upper management purchased for your group?

One Programmer's Opinion
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

We have a winner!
We only started with it in the first place 'cause it was lying around.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

I am just amazed anyone would use Req Pro. It's painful no matter what it's intended for. Period. I know 3 projects that used Req Pro. All of them got canned. Coincidence?
Maybe.

wht?
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

wht? wrote, "I am just amazed anyone would use Req Pro. It's painful no matter what it's intended for. Period. I know 3 projects that used Req Pro. All of them got canned. Coincidence?"

Yes.  Most likely these projects got canned because the ROI simply wasn't there.

One Programmer's Opinion
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home