Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

CAMEL: Project update

Wow, so much has happened since last Friday.
The core architecture team (three of us) now has a new member and a manager from the career force.
The great news is that our manager is a manager in the absolute truest sense of the word - he's not going to work with us, wants to be kept informed, and doesn't care how we do things so long as we deliver. He also pointed out that HE is the one that takes updates to senior management (good and bad).

We had two meetings yesterday - first one was with our new manager and his management where we got an initial okay on pursuing the project as we saw it. You see, this project is to port an existing system to a new architecture. Our direction on the project has been schizoid in that one day we're told to develop a new system with lots of new features; the next day we're told our only job is to port the functionality of the old system with a fixed deadline in October.

Well, yesterday I think we made serious progress on convincing senior management that the best approach is to develop a new system while drawing requirements as necessary from the old system where appropriate (as opposed to simply building a mirror of the old app in .Net)

We also pointed out (again) that we think the October deadline is unrealistic. Nobody really committed to anything, but our (new) manager has since suggested that if we can provide documentation that a quality system cannot be delivered in seven months, then the deadline may be flexible.

More to follow in another topic...

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Philo,

Why don't you create a blog, that way the progression of your project, can be tracked more easily.

Best,

Prakash S
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Heh. Yeah, I thought of that after the second post today. I'll set one up tonight.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

cool

Prakash S
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Now the question is - do I just blog and let discussions go on here? Or should I find a blog/discussion board software?

If the latter, can anyone request a package?

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

After reading this project update, I could have sworn this project was the exact one I interviewed for last week.  It too had a 7 month deadline, with 3 months for design and 4 months implementation.  It too was a port from an old system to .Net.  They too seemed schizoid, with a high probability of drastic schedule overruns.  The line about drawing requirements from the old system was right out of the interview.  They actually said the old system WAS the only requirements documentation.  So I had to go back through your earlier posts to find out that this is probably a case management system for law enforcement officers, not a telemedicine project.  But scary coincidence nonetheless.

ODN
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home