Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Any JoelOnSoftware readers in Bangalore, India?

Hi,

Was wondering if like-minded people would want to meet up in Bangalore over some beers?

Yogi
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

I will be in B'lore for a week in June, let me know if you want to meet up!

And make it JavaCity instead of the bars/ pubs (Can't hear myself think in those places)

Cheers!

Prakash S
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

I'm in Mumbai at the moment - should be here at least another 4 weeks.

Walter Rumsby
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

I'm in Bangalore, email's shenoy at agnisoft dot com. Would love to catch up sometime!

Deepak Shenoy

Walter,
            Didn't you promise to let us know how your Mumbai experience was going.

Steve

Stephen Jones

It's still going! I'll let you know.

Walter Rumsby

Actually, I sent an email to the IT editor of the New Zealand Herald today.

He was heralding the fact that the New Zealand government provided EDS with $NZ 1.5 million in funding which lead to EDS outsourcing some operations to NZ. In his piece (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3250453&thesection=technology&thesubsection=comment) he suggested that NZ had the benefit over India of:
* better weather
* airconditioning (???)
* spacious offices

I told him that I was sending an email to him from a spacious office in Mumbai with good airconditioning (certainly better airconditioning than the Sydney office I normally work in - the aircon does not shut off around 6.30pm here like it does in Sydney - and the large cupboard I once worked in in Auckland). In fact, the weather is so "good" airconditioning is compulsory here - the temperature has been consistently warmer than Sydney (where it is/was summer when I left).

I'll write a full summary when I get back to Sydney - very briefly I imagine the average Western programmer might initially be shocked by India - Mumbai is full of very sharp contrasts (extraordinary poverty and extraordinary wealth).

Walter Rumsby

"the weather is so "good" airconditioning is compulsory"

That's what he meant when he said better weather in NZ :)

"I imagine the average Western programmer might initially be shocked by India - Mumbai is full of very sharp contrasts (extraordinary poverty and extraordinary wealth)."

You've never lived in the Docklands in London then? Maybe Mumbai is where they took the model from. One thing I will say for the poor bit round the corner from where I lived - I felt safer there than anywhere else I ever went in the UK.

I didn't know Deepak Shenoy lurks around JOS

sunish

I didn't know Sunish knew Deepak Shenoy :)

Deepak Shenoy

Anyone who makes flippant comments about the poverty you see in the slums of London being in any way equivalent to the poverty you see on the streets of India needs to see more of the world.

braid_ged
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Yep, I live in Bangalore. I'm a usability dude. (for now anyway)

You can click my name to send me an email.

Why do you ask?

Madhu "MadMan" Menon
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Dear Walter,
                  Remember you can get computer books at 25% of US prices in Mumbai, so even after paying shipping you will make a considerable saving.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Deepak, what I meant was I never saw any postings on JOS before.

Sunish
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Stephen,

I'm aware of that - I bought the South Asian Edition of "Code Complete" the other week for around $AU 20 (it would be close to $AU 100 in Sydney), a work mate bought Kernighan and Ritchie for close to $AU 7.

These are legitimate editions too. Imagine if there was an Amazon India (although these editions state "only for sale in India, Sri Lanaka and Bangladesh").

Walter Rumsby
Friday, March 21, 2003

Madhu,

Just to meetup and chat about software!

I am moving to Bangalore in April and wanted to sample some of the great pubs and enjoy some great conversation.

Yogi
Friday, March 21, 2003

Walter,
            Who is the Indian publisher of "Code Complete"? Also do you know of the publishers of any of the other standards, Petzold and Brooks and Cooper, Nielson and Togliani (basically all that Joel recommends). I have never seen the American editions in Saudi - it's all specific to the program stuff - and the importers I buy from in Colombo doesn't have any of those books. If I could get the lot on Joel's list it would make for a nice beginning to the summer vacation.

Stephen Jones
Friday, March 21, 2003

Stephen,

I'm working in Navi Mumbai and just went to a bookstore in Vashi (the nearest town).

Code Complete is Wiley/Microsoft Press (I think). I noticed South Asian Editions of titles like Design Patters, UML Distilled (Addison-Wesley), O'Reilly, Wrox, Sams, etc books. I noticed some New Riders books (publishers of the most recent Neilsen books) but I wasn't looking for usability/design books at the time. I also noticed "The Deviant's Advantage" (business book) in the window of the store when I was leaving, which is a title I'd be surprised/delighted to find in Sydney.

I'll find the name of the store for you and post it here tonight/tomorrow.

Walter Rumsby
Friday, March 21, 2003

Thanks Walter,
                        What actually happens is that books for the South Asian market are normally published by a local partner. so O'Reilly books are published by SPD of Mumbai, Sams by Techmedia of New Dehli, Sybex by BPB of Connaught Place New Dehli etc. I really need to know the Indian publishers names so I can write to them to ask them who their Sri Lankan agent it, but any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Jones
Friday, March 21, 2003

Sunish,

Was just kidding...I do visit JOS, found the link to the discussion only recently...very interesting stuff!

Deepak Shenoy
Friday, March 21, 2003

Stephen,

I sent you an email with the Indian publishers details.

Walter Rumsby
Friday, March 21, 2003

Indian Books websites.

http://www.fabmall.com/

http://www.landmarkonthenet.com/home.html

http://shopping.rediff.com/shopping/index.html

HTH,

Prakash S
Friday, March 21, 2003

http://www.firstandsecond.com

http://www.fabmart.com

Deepak Shenoy
Friday, March 21, 2003

Fabmart is Fabmall these days, don't know why...

Prakash S
Friday, March 21, 2003

Please, I Want to Picture of User interface for other Software (local)

Babak Rajavar
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home