Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

looking for a team management software

I am looking for a team management software allowing to schedule a team of up-to 100 members. There is a couple of daily tasks the team must perform. The environment is highly dynamic - tasks and team members might be added and removed on the fly, tasks may require involvement of different number of members, etc... I would prefer the software which has no extra dependencies like database.

Thanks

dk
Monday, March 17, 2003

Microsoft Project

Kevin
Monday, March 17, 2003

Project is exactly what you do not want to use.  Project has no methods for collaboration.  Project is some scheduling guy, spending a week plugging in dates - which he pulls out of thin air - and spends the rest of the time trying to make a pretty chart.  The engineers take one look at it, and delegate it for the round file when you're not looking.

You can either allow your engineers to create bottom-up schedules and take metrics on them as you go, or you can live in fantasy land.  While project has some means for tracking dependencies, it is certainly not agile and cannot adapt as software requirements change and as new issues are discovered.

Joel's writing on schedules is the best first place to start:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000245.html

I've used a variant on this for over a year.  A software group of shared excel files is far superior to Project for software scheduling and tracking. 

We are taking a look at what SourceForge has to offer.  You can get the free version at sourceforge.net, and set it up and try it out.  We haven't got pricing from them on the pay version, but I'm sure it would be under NDA anyway.  Anyway, it seems reasonable.

I'd also say that FogBugz is also probably 90% of what you want.  The only reason that we haven't evaulated it, is that we're not buying licenses for NT/IIS server.  You may say, that's bug reporting software. Well, all you do is change the notion of bug to "issue", which includes features, and you've now got groupware.

Perforce "jobs" are also a means of tracking team progress.  Something we're also looking at.

While our groupware situation is in something of a limbo right now (we never have enough time to do what we want on this front, and our build/release guy is excellent but overworked), it can afford to be the weak link - for now.  Overall communication is the end goal, and so much of that is culture, period.  A cool software package always helps, but cannot completely fix culture.

I could ramble on...  I gotta work.

Nat Ersoz
Monday, March 17, 2003

I think MS Project is not flexible enough. I am looking for ability to automatically and/or interactively create schedules from a set of rules.

dk
Monday, March 17, 2003

Just a note on the SourceForge option: VA took SF closed-source some time ago, but one of the original SF developers (and a number of other folks) have taken the last released code, cleaned it up and added a number of additional features. It's now GForge [1]. Unfortunately, it's still in PHP ;-)

[1] http://gforge.org/

Chris Winters
Monday, March 17, 2003

I've had excellent success with iTeamwork -- it's a free web application.  You just sign up for an account (it's free, and you don't get spammed), then set up Projects and Tasks.  Very straightforward.  You can be signed up for e-mail notifications when tasks are complete, etc.

http://www.iteamwork.com/

It's functional enough to be useful, but simple enough to be easy and quick to use.

Brent P. Newhall
Monday, March 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home