Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Getting a CPT program

Hello,

I want your opinion on this. I am student nearing my graduation and completing my thesis.

My main interest is in databases and supply chain management. I was looking for a Curricular practical training oppurtunity in any supply chain software/ERP  company in california (preferably) or anywhere else.

A CPT means that you work for some company in an area related to your major/ thesis.

My masters thesis is on supply chain. A CPT will help me in that it will help me get some practical exposure.

My main problem is that if i send a resume, it will be rejected and people will think i am looking for a job . I dont think anyone will even look at my work (based on past experience).  I have submitted  quality papers to ASME and SAE and so on. I am  now feeling that all the effort went a waste.

I am not in real desperation for a job right now. But i would like to work in some ERP/supply chain company for 4-6 months.

Can someone help me out on how i need to approach companies? I mean, how can i convince someone that my thesis quality is great without actually sending my thesis?

Thank you very much.

A Student
Saturday, March 15, 2003

Student,

Do some research.  Identify the companies you are interested in and then phone there training departments.

The main thing to do is avoid form letters.  Find out the names of the people you need to deal with and keep phoning back.

Anon
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home